Local News

Worker credited for getting residents out of burning Raleigh apartment building

Posted November 11, 2014

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Residents displaced by a fire at a Raleigh apartment complex are crediting the property's maintenance employee for getting them out safely.

The fire happened around 2:15 p.m. Monday at Cambridge Apartments, at 725 Royal Anne Lane, in north Raleigh after investigators say someone improperly discarded "smoking material."

Twelve units were destroyed from either flames or water damage. About two dozen people were without a home – most of whom are staying with relatives or friends.

Several residents trying to salvage personal belongings Tuesday said they were home Monday afternoon and wouldn't have known how serious the fire was had the employee, Bob, not banged on their doors.

Jaimie Newsome was one of them.

"I thought it was something small. I didn't think it was a big deal," she said. "But then I came outside and saw that it was a big deal, and the whole place was on fire."

Bob did not want to be identified and did not want to be interviewed.

"Somebody had to do it," he said. "I'm just glad I was there."

1 Comment

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Steve Austin Nov 11, 2014
    user avatar

    Good job Bob!