Woman paralyzed during Raleigh armed robbery seeking public's help to find suspect
Posted September 15, 2016
Updated September 17, 2016
Raleigh, N.C. — The husband of a woman who was left paralyzed after being shot during an armed robbery in Raleigh earlier this month is asking for help identifying the man who shot her.
Natalia Valle-Herrera was shot on Sept. 4 while being robbed at her residence in the 3200 block of Calumet Drive. Valle-Herrera and her husband, Benacio Aguilar-Zavala, were returning from WakeMed where Aguilar-Zavala received treatment for an injury.
As the couple approached their apartment door that night, a suspect approached with a handgun and robbed the couple. During the encounter, the suspect fired a shot that struck Valle-Herrera in the left side of her torso—the bullet severed her spine, leaving her paralyzed below the point of impact.
The suspect then tried to shoot Aguilar-Zavala, but the gun misfired. Police said the suspect stole Valle-Herrera's purse before fleeing through a breezeway.
Aguilar-Zavala held a press conference on Thursday afternoon to talk about the incident and its impact on his family.
He said the shooter took away the future that he had planned with his family. And now, he wants to find whoever is responsible.
A GoFundMe account has been set up to raise money for Valle-Herrera's receovery.