Local News

Woman not charged in Creedmoor apartment fire

Posted March 18, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A woman who started an apartment fire in Creedmoor two weeks ago won't face criminal charges, police said Thursday.

A resident of the Granville Oaks Apartments complex, on Watershed Way, was using an oxygen tank for medical reasons and lit a cigarette, sparking the March 4 fire, police said.

The woman, whose name hasn't been released, suffered facial burns and spent a couple of days at the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill.

The fire damaged much of the upper floor of one building at the apartment complex. Eight families were displaced, but officials said six of them moved into other apartments in the complex.

20 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • anonemoose Mar 18, 2010

    Poorboy, this was no accident. An accident is something that results from unforeseeable circumstances. Lighting a surrogate while using oxygen produced a FORESEEABLE and EXPECTED result.

    This fire is no more an accident than a drunk driver crossing over a center line and hitting a car head on. She should be charged, and the DA should open the box in his dresser and get his nuggets out. He doesn't have any opposition in the election, but he doesn't want to offend the little old smoking ladies on oxygen lobby.

  • rtpduder Mar 18, 2010

    From the article: "...was using an oxygen tank for medical reasons and lit a cigarette"

    Classic. So much is wrong with the quote I'm at a loss for words here.

  • lhsandie Mar 18, 2010

    People, Please!! I know the article does not tell you this but I know her family and the woman responsible is DECEASED. She DIED Friday. It's tragic for everyone involved. She lost everything too, including her life. Many people who are addicted to cigarettes know better than to smoke while on oxygen, but they can't break the habit, not matter what.

  • kbow80 Mar 18, 2010

    She should be charged. I'm sure there was a warning that stated not to use near fire or something and the person that showed her how to use the tank told her the same thing. Some people can get away with anything.

  • lhsandie Mar 18, 2010

    She died on Friday and my facts are correct, I know her family and attended her funeral. Maybe the reporter needs to update his facts.

  • angiec919 Mar 18, 2010

    Why in the world would you be stupid enough to smoke a cigarette and your on oxygen. GEEES!!!

  • jimmylinn Mar 18, 2010

    I also heard that this lady passed away. I am emailing the writer to get him to check. Such harsh comments have we not all done stupid things.

  • BigUNCFan Mar 18, 2010

    They should sue her for everything she has. I would also sue her as the owner of the complex for damages. I imagine the owners of the apt have insurance and the insurance company will sue as well as all of the renters insurance companies.

    Have a nice life lady.

  • BigUNCFan Mar 18, 2010

    lhsandie

    You must have your facts wrong. There was no mention of her dying last week in the article that was dated today. I think they would have put that in there.

  • twinkiemb Mar 18, 2010

    Stupidity is curable,ignorance is forever
    Thankd goodness noone was hurt or killed

More...