Woman killed in apartment fire never got over fatal crash, friends say
Posted January 5, 2015
Updated January 6, 2015
Raleigh, N.C. — A woman who Raleigh police say killed herself by setting her apartment on fire was having difficulty coping with the death of a close friend whom she killed in a car crash seven months ago, friends said Monday.
Anastasiya Katherine Bergeron died Friday evening from injuries she received during the blaze at Trails of North Hills apartments on Generation Drive.
Firefighters found Bergeron severely burned on the patio beneath her upper-floor apartment when they arrived at the complex around 7:15 p.m.
Bergeron died at a local hospital.
The 19-year-old was scheduled to be in court Feb. 13 on charges – including misdemeanor death by motor vehicle, drug possession and driving while impaired – stemming from the May 29 wreck that killed Chase Morgan Rodgers, 20, of Cary.
Rodgers was sitting in the front passenger seat of a car driven by Bergeron that afternoon when, police said, it crashed into some woods on eastbound Interstate 40 in Raleigh. She and a passenger in the back of the car were injured.
Bergeron had posted a suicide note on a social media site, but friends – who did not want to be identified – said they were unsure how much Rodgers' death might have influenced her decision.
They do know, however, that she was still very distraught over the crash and grieving for Rodgers. The friends said they do not think she was worried about what would happen with the criminal charges.
Wake County Assistant District Attorney Andrew Marshall said her upcoming court appearance was a general hearing and that a trial date had not been set.
Rodgers' father, Darryl Rodgers, declined to comment Monday, saying only that his prayers are with Bergeron's family.
Friday's fire damaged or destroyed 14 apartments, according to authorities. There were no other injuries, but 24 people were displaced by the fire.
Raleigh Fire Chief John McGrath said investigators believe Bergeron poured gasoline on the floor of her apartment and then lit it.
The fire quickly spread to neighboring units.
"(She was) obviously a very, very sick young lady. I feel sorry for her friends and her family and for her," McGrath said. "While we're saddened, we're just grateful we didn't lose anyone else."