Local News

Woman Admits Faking Attack Claim at Duke

Posted March 11, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Duke University police are considering whether to file charges against a woman who they said made a phony report last week that she was sexually assaulted on a street near Duke University Hospital.

Aaron Graves, Duke’s associate vice president for safety and security, said Tuesday that the woman, whom police said is 21 but whose name they withheld, admitted she was not near Duke at the time she claimed to have been attacked last Thursday evening  after leaving the hospital.

The woman is not a Duke employee or a student, Graves said.

“Sexual assault is a very serious matter, and I hope this unfortunate incident will not deter anyone who is a victim of such a crime from reporting what happened and seeking assistance,” Graves said.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Cyric297 Mar 11, 2008

    I think this woman should be charged as well. The woman involved with this is a very very very sick individual and the extent of her crimes are far beyond what is mentioned here (I know her). I wish and hope that Duke charges this woman to the fullest extent of the law. I plan on writing as many letters and posting as many comments as it takes to get this done, and I hope that many of you do as well.

  • Godschild43 Mar 11, 2008

    This is wrong.This is very wrong and she sheould be punished.She broke the law.

  • ckat Mar 11, 2008

    What a very sick thing to do. This lady should definately be charged with something. I bet there are women that have been assaulted or may be in the future women will be scared to come forward for fear of people thinking that they are lying. That is sad that this poor excuse of a woman would stoop to such a low to "make headlines" with all the tragedies occuring locally. I can't imagine what on earth she was trying to accomplish knowing all the controversy that has surrounded Duke with this topic, other than her getting attention. I suggest you give it to her, post her name, picture and give her the attention that she wanted.

  • terwin3 Mar 11, 2008

    CHARGE her Durham PD. Get a back bone and start busting the criminals in Durham and get your city respectable again.

  • methinks Mar 11, 2008

    Durham county set the stage when they didn't charge that woman in the lacrosse case. Now others will continue to lie about being assaulted because they know Durham isn't going to do anything.

  • Concerned Mar 11, 2008

    This woman should be prosecuted to the fullest extent for making a false report, thus causing the police to use their valuable resources to track someone that does not exist. Let this be a lesson to people everywhere.

  • needmocash Mar 11, 2008

    When she first made the accusation the media reported it was a "Black male" who committed the crime....it would have been nice if the media had reported she "lied" against a black male when they printed her retraction, instead of just saying "Male" now.

  • anneonymousone Mar 11, 2008

    (ooops! I had tried to enter this in the earlier post, but goofed!)

    Fortunately, I have also met many men, survivors and not, who believe survivors and support them. They also take a stand against rape jokes and other behaviors that make the world safer for attackers than for those likely to be attacked.

  • cartman Mar 11, 2008

    This woman needs to be charged, her name released to the public and picture put on the news. If she implicated a man, they would do all of those things to him......why can this woman get better treatment? She broke the law.

  • HappyGirl08 Mar 11, 2008

    Oh seriously??! I sure hope someone files charges against her. That is terrible. Not only is sexual assault no joke, it takes up police time and manpower to track down.