banner
WRAL SmartShopper

WRAL SmartShopper

What's for dinner Tuesday?

Posted March 18, 2014

Strawberries

 

Here's the place to share your meal ideas for the evening, post where you bought the ingredients frugally and even share a recipe if you would like. If you need some inspiration for your own dinner tonight, this may give you some helpful ideas.

What's on your menu tonight?

 

 

12 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • losltp Mar 18, 2014

    jdouglas13
    Thanks !
    Supposedly they came from the coast this morning but I took no chances and did what you said - I cooked them ( no old bay ) and have them in fridge to do whatever with tomorrow if I do not snack on them tonight lol
    your alfredo with shrimp sounds good as does griling with veggies but my grill doesn't float .
    Thanks for answering !
    I am Thinking of YOU & your family ( including the naughty pups).

  • jdouglas13 Mar 18, 2014

    Losltp, 99% of all shrimp arrive frozen, and are then sold as "fresh" when they are actually just defrosted. I would not take a chance that the shrimp you bought are in that 1% and use them right away -- by tomorrow at the very latest. If you are running short on time and can't have them tonight, they will hold better to tomorrow if you can cook them. You can do that with the shell on. Boil some heavily salted water, add some Old Bay (if you like it - I don't), and add the shrimp to the pot. Cover it, and take off the heat. As soon as they turn pink, they are done and should be thoroughly drained and refrigerated immediately. Tomorrow you can deal with peeling and deveining if you are short on time today, and then proceed with whatever recipe you wanted to use them in.

  • losltp Mar 18, 2014

    I need help please
    I bought shrimp at a seafood market - already de-headed but sitll need to be shelled & de-veined .
    What do I do to freeze them and/or cook them ??
    How many days will they keep in fridge before cooking ?
    I have bought shrimp in the past but never any fresh ones that I had to de-vein or shelled.
    Thank You for any help !!

  • jdouglas13 Mar 18, 2014

    Sounds good everyone! My sister is cooking tonight, so I have no idea. My Mom just keeps yelling for me to make the %^&$#@(&* cookies LOL. Gotta love a little dementia when the O2 sats are running too low.

  • Gator Girll Mar 18, 2014

    We're having cubed beef steak (mark down) sautéed with onions then simmered in a peppered gravy, jasmine rice, and sugar snap peas.

  • RaleighFoodBlogger Mar 18, 2014

    Faye- I didn't know that! I bought more of it today, as I've been loving my daily lunch salads :-)

  • Faye Prosser -WRAL Smart Shopper Mar 18, 2014

    Thanks for the dressing recipe, RaleighFoodBlogger! I thought of you when I bought sweet butter lettuce today because you posted about it last week. lol. Did you know it has tons of Vitamin K and A?! I had some on my sandwich for lunch today.

    lkkersh - Your dinner sounds great! I love BBQ chicken on those Kings Hawaiian rolls. They are so good!

  • RaleighFoodBlogger Mar 18, 2014

    We're making one of my favorite salads using markdown butter lettuce, sirloin steak and the free rosemary garlic red potatoes from HT. We have leftover sour cream, bacon, cheese, too. Here's the recipe- the dressing alone is worth giving it a try! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/warm-steak-and-potato-salad-recipe.html

  • lkkersh Mar 18, 2014

    crockpot pulled chicken sliders with king hawaian rolls, green beans and waffle fries. Hoping the crockpot warms the house up :)

  • Faye Prosser -WRAL Smart Shopper Mar 18, 2014

    twinredheads - that's a lot of therapy in one day! Good luck and enjoy your dinner...whatever it may be. :-)

More...