Weather

Heat, humidity make return for weekend

Posted June 16, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— The chance of storms diminished Thursday afternoon, but a heat wave is on the way. "That is still a definite," said WRAL Chief Meteorologist Greg Fishel. "Temperatures will be back in the 90s and it will be more humid and generally more miserable this weekend." 

A brief run of pleasant temperatures ended as a line of storms formed near mid-day along Interstate 95 from Wilson to Halifax County. The Triangle saw only spotty precipitation.

Friday will be another mostly dry day in the central part of the state, Fishel said. The forecast calls for a muggy morning and a high temperature of 92 degrees. 

"Once we're back to the 90s, it looks like we're going to stay there for a while," said WRAL meteorologist Nate Johnson.

The warm weather will stay with us through the weekend, with a chance for afternoon showers each day, Fishel said. The long-range forecast has temperatures pushing toward the 100-degree mark by the middle of next week.

73 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • lma1973 Jun 17, 2011

    Hmmm "The long-range forecast has temperatures pushing toward the 100-degree mark by the middle of next week."

    Well they better update their little picture forecast because currently its 93 for the middle of next week and that aint pushing 100 anymore than 83 is pushing 90!!!

  • lma1973 Jun 17, 2011

    They changed it back to 40% Saturday and 50% Sunday. Geez LOL. So whats the diff between 20% and 40%? Thats means a 60% to 80% chance it doesnt rain. Why bother with the flip flopping in percentages the last day and a half? It doesnt really matter.

  • Jakethesnake Jun 17, 2011

    I think its kinda cool that weather is unpredictable. Also 50% chance means theres a 50% it also may not rain. so actually they were right on there prediction. they would only be wrong if they said 100% of rain and it didn't.

  • lma1973 Jun 17, 2011

    Well lets see. They completely bombed on yesterday's forecast. Then last night they had Saturday with a 40% chance of rain and Sunday with a 50% chance of rain. Lo and behold i log on this morning and they have already changed it to 20% for Saturday and 30% for Sunday. Guess the ole models are being wishy washy again!!

  • Jakethesnake Jun 17, 2011

    two things I can't stand.1. when you see a rain drop on a day in the 5 day forecast it does not mean cancel your plans. It is summer. there is pretty much a chance of a storm every afternoon for the next two months. most days it will not happen and it will be sunny. if it does happen it will last about an hour. so don't cancel plans.

    2. stop complaining about meterologists using computers and models. without these there is no way at all to predict the weather. They are pretty accurate, however mother nature will never allow us to predict her perfectly, so give the guys a break they do pretty good. It would be nice to get paid to look at computer models and tell people what they say, but I didn't sign up for that and neither did you so stop complaining.

  • NCSU24 Jun 17, 2011

    I miss the 5 degree guarantee. They were held accountable.

  • Bring on the 4 Dollar Gas Jun 16, 2011

    "Rain is in the forecast for Saturday & Sunday. Should we cancel our outdoor plans or just start making them now? "

    You should double down based on any forecast you get from wral. Won't rain a drop so let 'er rip.

  • Bring on the 4 Dollar Gas Jun 16, 2011

    "We were expecting scattered showers and storms across the area as most of the model guidance suggested"

    Heaven forbid they actually earn their pay and have to figure it out on their own. Relying on computers is absurd. Always an excuse from the wral weather room.

  • USA Jun 16, 2011

    91F today and the high was expected to be 83F. No wonder they don't offer the 5 degree guarantee any longer.

    kjones026 - don't cancel your weekend plans on this forecast. Perhaps the groundhog in PA can help you out!!

  • PanthersFan45 Jun 16, 2011

    Outstanding !! Just what I wanted to hear, more great swimming pool weather. Although this won't help the brown lawns out much.

More...