State, federal agencies coordinate aid for storm victims

Posted April 19, 2011

— As federal and state officials work on preliminary damage assessments and meet with county emergency management officials to tally property damage from Saturday's outbreak of devastating severe storms, Gov. Bev Perdue established a hotline Tuesday for the public to get answers related to recovery issues, individual assistance needs, donations and volunteering. For that information, call 1-888-835-9966.

Attorney General Roy Cooper said his office will be looking into allegations of price gouging. Cooper warns of scams, price gouging Cooper warns of scams, price gouging

Price gouging – or charging an unreasonably excessive amount in times of crisis – is against North Carolina law when a disaster, an emergency or an abnormal market disruption for critical goods and services is declared by the governor or local governments. The law also applies to all levels of the supply chain from the manufacturer to the distributor to the retailer.

To report price gouging, call the Consumer Protection Division at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM (toll-free within North Carolina) or by fill out a price gouging complaint form online.

Cooper on Monday also warned consumers to beware of scams arising from the disaster.

Federal disaster aid could take weeks

State Crime Control and Public Safety spokeswoman Julia Jarema said the Federal Emergency Management Agency must complete their survey of the storm's damage to see which areas, if any, qualify for individual or community financial assistance from the federal government.

So far, Jarema said state and federal officials haven’t had to set up tent camps or feeding stations for displaced residents. Most of the aid has been handled by county services. As of Monday morning, seven shelters remained open. Two others were closed because they weren’t needed.

Other than damage assessment, the state’s main role is helping to coordinate county requests for “mutual aid” help from other counties, Jarema said.

“We’ve been sending search and rescue teams, law enforcement support and fire and rescue help” from unaffected counties to those worst hit, Jarema said.

In coming days, most requests will probably be for chainsaw teams to help clear debris, she said.

Jarema said people who need assistance with storm damage should contact their local county emergency management.

“That’s the first step in the process,” she said. “If you have additional needs, let your local emergency management know.”

Insurance tips following the storm Insurance tips following the storm

Report damage to insurer

Property owners with insurance should report damage as soon as possible to get that process started as well, she added.

Insurance Commissioner Wayne Goodwin provided these insurance tips for North Carolinians dealing with property damage:

  • Contact your insurance agent/company. If you suffer property loss in your home or vehicle, contact your insurance agent or company as soon as possible to arrange a visit from an adjuster.
  • Document damage. Before doing any repairs to your home, photograph and make a list of the damage.
  • Make temporary repairs only. Until you get advice from your insurance company, protect your home from further damage by making temporary repairs only. Save any receipts for materials purchased for repairs.
  • Agree on cost of permanent repairs. Do not have permanent repairs made until your insurance company has inspected your property, and you have reached an agreement on the cost of repairs.
  • Consider renting shelter. If necessary, rent temporary shelter. If your home is uninhabitable, most homeowners policies pay additional living expenses while your property is being repaired. Before renting temporary shelter, check with your insurance company or agent to determine what expenses will be reimbursed.
  • Find out if food is covered. Unless you have extra coverage with your homeowners policy, food lost in a power outage is probably not covered. Consider purchasing an endorsement to cover food losses in the future.
  • Check your policy before hiring tree removal services. Most damage to your home or surrounding structures resulting from fallen trees is covered by your homeowners policy. Check with your agent or company before calling a tree removal service, as removal costs may also be covered.
  • Determine whether your auto insurance policy covers damage from fallen trees or debris. Your insurance company may cover this kind of damage if you have comprehensive coverage. Check with your agent to determine whether your vehicle is covered.

The Department of Insurance Consumer Services Division is available to assist with insurance-related questions or complaints. They can be reached at 1-800-546-5664 (toll free in North Carolina) or 919-807-6750.

NCDOT will pick up debris

The North Carolina Department of Transportation will pick up storm-related debris along state-maintained roads in severely-impacted areas. Pick-up is expected to begin later this week.

NCDOT officials also offered the following tips:

  • Check your homeowners insurance as often debris cleanup is covered by insurance and arrangements for its collection will be handled by the insurance company.
  • NCDOT will collect vegetation debris such as trees and limbs, as well as building materials, but they must be separated.
  • Property owners are asked to cut storm-related debris into 5- or 6-foot pieces, if possible, and place it along the roadway, but out of travel lanes.
  • Major appliances, household hazardous materials such as paint, propane tanks, etc., and other similar materials will not be collected. It’s recommended that property owners contact their county emergency management office regarding how to dispose of those items.
  • The NCDOT will collect furniture damaged by the tornadoes.
  • Wake County is collecting storm debris to aid in clean-up efforts at various sites in the area.

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • what_in_the____ Apr 19, 2011

    I'm sure ALL of the victims will appreciate assistance. I just hope everyone will be treated equally and not be biased whether the victims come from trailer parks or nice subdivisions. Guess I'll wait and see what happens.

  • icdumbpeople Apr 19, 2011

    Does anyone know how to help this lady? She is an elderly lady that has no insurance. They will not turn her electric back on until repairs have been made. She was actually walking to a church this morning to see if she could get some help.

    I saw where this elder lady was out in her yard trying to pick up trees and pieces of her house yesterday. No one was there to help her. Her daughter emailed me this email. I don't know this lady, but only know she is elderly and doesn't have family to help her. I am not sure what she needs.

    email I got:
    This is my mom's house (Rita Hines). She is still in need of help. I live in NY now and can't do much from here. Her Cell # is 919-842-1472 Anything you can do for her would be great appreciated.
    209 Frazier Drive in Sanford.

    I am going to bring her some food tonight but I don't know how else I can help her.

  • 2alegal Apr 19, 2011

    I have lots of baby stuff. Please let me know where I can deliver the stuff at. I have boys/girls little clothes and some other supplies.

  • bparrish004 Apr 19, 2011

    Is there any place accepting donations for furniture, clothing, household goods, etc. that will go directly to the torando victims. I understand the Salvation Army is accepting & will give vouchers to the victims to take to the thrift store - but the items may not be there when the victims are ready for them.

  • lalaloo Apr 19, 2011

    @lifeisajourney, Emergency Management in your area should be able to answer this for you.

  • Frank Downtown Apr 19, 2011

    @lifeisajourney: Call your city office or the county information line.

  • LifeisaJourney Apr 19, 2011

    If you don't have state road frontage, where should you put your debris for pickup? The NCDOT is leaving out a lot of homeowners.

    Also, the Wake County site that is linked states that they do not accept yard waste.

    So if you don't live on a state road and the county isn't helping, what are we supposed to do? Burn it? I have a pile of debris the size of an RV and we're just getting started.