Warrant: Abducted Md. girl was scared she'd be kidnapped
Posted November 18, 2014
Raleigh, N.C. — A 12-year-old girl who authorities say was abducted in Maryland and rescued in Raleigh three days later chatted online two weeks before her disappearance that she was scared "some guy" she had been chatting with would kidnap her if she didn't go live with him.
That's according to a search warrant released Tuesday in the case of Victor Yanez Arroyo, 32, who is charged with first-degree rape and first-degree kidnapping in the sixth-grader's Nov. 11 disappearance.
Authorities say Arroyo took the girl as she left for school and then drove back with her to his home in Raleigh, where federal agents rescued her three days later by tracking her through her usage of her iPod Touch.
In an Xbox chat on Oct. 27, according to the search warrant affidavit, the child says she was thinking about running away with the man, but then changes her mind.
"im not going but babe im scared he said he was gonna kidnap me," according to a transcript of the chat, which is included in the warrant.
"ok and but he dosnt [sic] now where u live," the other user says.
"um vyea [sic] I told him where I live," the girl responds, adding that she doesn't want to tell her mother because she would get in trouble for chatting on the smartphone messenger app.
According to the warrant, neighbors reported seeing a blue pickup truck with a North Carolina license plate outside the girl's home 15 days after the chat, and the girl told police after she was found that Arroyo took her back to Raleigh in a blue Chevrolet pickup truck.
Authorities seized three cellphones, an iPod and bed clothing from Arroyo's home, at 3128 Greenbranch Lane.
He is being held in the Wake County Detention Center under a $1.6 million bond. In addition to rape and kidnapping charges in North Carolina, he's also been charged in Maryland with kidnapping and second-degree assault.
During a first court appearance Monday afternoon, he denied the charges.