WakeMed, Rex back off appeals of each other's expansion plans
Posted March 23, 2013
Raleigh, N.C. — Representatives on both sides of the hotly-contested battle for the Triangle health care dollar reached an agreement this week to allow each other's expansion plans to go forward.
Rex Healthcare and WakeMed had each appealed state decisions that would see the other expand. On Saturday, a Rex spokesperson said the groups agreed to mutually withdraw their appeals.
Rex has state approval to invest more than $250 million to treat heart disease and stroke on its Raleigh campus, while WakeMed has the Certificate of Need to add dozens of patient beds in Cary and east Raleigh.
Each had been opposed to the other's plans, taking their arguments all the way to the state Supreme Court. This week's detente means both plans will go forward, Rex spokesman Alan Wolf said.
The addition of patient rooms and beds in North Carolina is legislated by the Certificate of Need process, which allows state government to limit expansion of health care facilities in hopes of keeping costs down.