Local News

Wake judge to review teen murder suspect's interrogation video

Posted February 6, 2015

Jonathan Santillan, foreground, and Isrrael Vasquez, background, arrive in a Wake County courtroom on Sept. 8, 2014, for a pre-trial hearing in the Jan. 5, 2013, shooting deaths of Samual Flores Mendoza and his wife, Maria Saravia Mendoza.
Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A Superior Court judge in Wake County will review video of a teenaged double murder suspect's interrogation to decide if prosecutors can use it when they take the case to trial.

A defense attorney for Jonathan Santillan told Judge Paul Gessner Friday that Wake County sheriff's investigators used improper tactics when questioning the then-15-year-old in connection with the Jan. 5, 2013, shooting deaths of Jose Samual Flores Mendoza and his wife, Maria Saravia Mendoza, in Garner.

Authorities say the couple, both 34, were unintended victims of a gang dispute and that Santillan and his uncle, Isrrael Vasquez – thinking someone else lived there – forced their way into the Mendoza home at 708 Colonial Drive, shooting each of them numerous times.

The Mendozas' 3-year-old son was not injured.

Santillan, now 17, and Vasquez, 18, could go to trial later this year on multiple charges, including first-degree murder and first-degree burglary.

Representing Santillan, attorney Jeff Cutler argued Friday that detectives interrogated his client for several hours, pressuring and coercing him and ignoring comments he made about being tired, hungry, in need of his medication and wanting to call his mother.

Cutler suggested that investigators also ignored Santillan's pleas to be put into protective custody because he worried he might be killed.

Scott Barefoot, an investigator in the case, testified that he spent more than an hour making sure the teen understood his rights and that when Santillan requested an attorney, the interrogation ended.

Santillan never confessed to the crime but told authorities he had information about the killings that he heard from a friend, Barefoot said.

According to autopsy reports, deputies found Jose Mendoza lying on the couch of his single-story brick duplex. He had been shot 16 times in the head, chest and torso. Maria Mendoza, found in the kitchen, had been shot seven times in the back, lower abdomen and legs.

During a hearing in May 2013, a witness who authorities say was outside at the time of the shootings, testified that Vasquez was armed with a handgun and Santillan, an AK-47, when they went inside the home.

When the pair returned to the car, Santillan was smiling and talking about seeing a child inside, the witness said.

"We left him alone," the witness quoted Santillan as saying. "He will be traumatized."

The case was set to go to trial last year, but it was delayed because defense attorneys needed more time to review evidence.

It could be delayed further.

Gessner must decide if the teens will be tried together or separately before setting a date.

But before he can hear that matter, a new public defender for Vasquez, who was appointed last week, needs time to get familiar with the case.

If convicted, both Santillan and Vasquez face a possible sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

21 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Jim Halbert Aug 26, 2015
    user avatar

    View quoted thread


    dude, where does it say they're going to let them off? it says right in the article they're determining whether or not the video of the interrogation can be used in the trial. that's all. there's plenty of other possible ways to convict them. calm down.

  • Tracy Watson Aug 26, 2015
    user avatar

    Listening to this tape I have to keep reminding myself that he is 15. I can't imagine talking to cops like that and acting like at at my age let alone his age.

  • Forthe Newssite Feb 8, 2015
    user avatar

    so now a GANG member and murderer possibly will get off?????? How's THAT for justice ........NOT

  • euimport1 Feb 7, 2015

    love to see my tax money wasted this way.

  • SICK OF YOU LIBERALS Feb 7, 2015

    "Cutler suggested that investigators also ignored Santillan's pleas to be put into protective custody because he worried he might be killed". HE DIDN'T SEEM TO WORRY ABOUT KILLING THOSE INNOCENT PEOPLE AND LEAVING THAT CHILD AN ORPHAN !... HANG HIM!

  • raleigh2922 Feb 7, 2015

    View quoted thread



    True. There was a south park episode about ADHD and the alternative of just spanking/smacking your child until the desired behavior appeared. Crude but true to the point that parents today think all the solutions with child behavior come from a pill bottle.

  • raleigh2922 Feb 7, 2015

    View quoted thread



    Not really. There are still rival gang members that want this kid dead.

  • teleman60 Feb 7, 2015

    An important question here would be "Why, when they saw the people weren't the gang members they were sent to kill, why did they kill this innocent couple anyway? It just makes no sense.

    This all happened 1000 feet from my front door. I am thankful the killers didn't go house to house but wonder why they shot at all...

  • Wayne R. Douglas Feb 7, 2015
    user avatar

    View quoted thread


    Autism and Asberger's has nothing at all to do with ADHD Please educate yourself. Most doctors may originally look at the possibility of ADHD, but very soon after, it is ruled out, and either Autism or Asberger's is diagnosed.

  • Tammy Rush Feb 6, 2015
    user avatar

    View quoted thread


    "no one knew any kids with "autism" 20 years ago either."

    WOW you're stupid.

    http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/history-of-autism"In the 1940s, researchers in the United States began to use the term "autism" to describe children with emotional or social problems."

More...