Valentine's Day Craft: Felt heart bracelets
Posted January 29, 2014
Editor's Note: Jessica Greene of Durham's Bull City Craft shares this adorable Valentine's Day craft, which she originally on katiedid. With the winter weather in the forecast, let's knock out those Valentine's Day cards now! Take it away Jessica ...
I made these with my three-year-old daughter to give as valentines to her friends. This craft was fun to do together because we each had our special tasks. Older children could make them on their own. I think they are really cute, but what I am most happy about is getting them done ahead of time!
Felt Valentine's Day Bracelets
felt in multiple colors (we used scraps, but you could go traditional with pink and red, or use your child’s favorite colors)
adhesive velcro circles (alternatively, you could sew on a button)
silly scissors (ok, I think these are really called edger scissors)
cardstock or scrap book paper
First make your bracelets.
1. Cut strips of felt about ½” wide and 7” long, longer for older children. Cut out small hearts, about 1 ½” to 2” big. Cut two small slits vertically in each heart.
2. Choose which color strip should go with which heart. Don’t be a craft hawk! Frances wanted to match the same color heart and strip, whereas I preferred contrasting colors.
3. Slide the strip of felt through the slits in the heart.
4. Stick the velcro on the ends of the felt strips. Be a craft hawk here! Otherwise the bracelets will end up with the fuzzy sided velcro on both ends.
Next, make the cards.
1. Cut the cardstock to the right size. It has to be the right width to hold the bracelet - about 3”- but the length can vary. Cut them a little extra long because you will be trimming them in the next step.
2. Cut the ends of each card with silly scissors.
3. Draw or write on each card.
Now, put it all together! Choose which color bracelet should be for each friend, write friend’s name on the card, and slip the bracelet on the card!
Thank you, Jessica!
Bull City Craft in Durham offers an assortment of programs for kids to adults. Special events in February include:
Valentine Photo Shoot at Bull City Craft, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Feb. 1. Have a Valentine portrait made of your little sweetie! Photographer Elizabeth Galecke, Finalist in the Independent Weekly Best of the Triangle 2013, will be taking photographs with our specially designed Valentine backdrop. Registration required. 919-419-0800
Valentine Card Party at Bull City Craft, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., Feb. 7. Make Valentine cards with our fabulous assortment of papers, glitters, and embellishments. We'll provide everything you need to stamp, collage, and draw to your heart's content. Open to all ages. Make 3 fancy cards and envelopes plus special "message in a bottle" valentine for $8 or make a set of 24 classroom valentines with Valentine's Day pencil for $20. Registration suggested, but not required. 919-419-0800
Beth Palmer Studios Trunk Show, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., Feb. 9. Heart Art! From cards, to ornaments, to fine art prints and original works, Beth Palmer Studio art work is perfect for showing someone how special they are to you. Beth will be customizing and personalizing pieces for Valentine's Day gifts.
For details, check Bull City Craft's website.