Political News

US-led coalition strikes pro-Syrian regime forces

Posted June 6

The US-led coalition announced Tuesday that it targeted pro-Syrian regime forces that entered a "well-established de-confliction zone in southern Syria."

"Despite previous warnings, pro-regime forces entered the agreed-upon de-confliction zone with a tank, artillery, anti-aircraft weapons, armed technical vehicles and more than 60 soldiers posing a threat to coalition and partner forces based at the At Tanf Garrison," a coalition statement said.

After several warnings over the de-confliction channel, the coalition destroyed "two artillery pieces, an anti-aircraft weapon, and damaged a tank."

Al-Tanf on the Syrian-Jordanian border, which Russian warplanes bombed a year ago in two successive airstrikes, is manned by US and British Special Forces that are advising an anti-ISIS Syrian rebel group known as Maghawir al-Thawra, or the Commandos of the Revolution.

Pro-Assad Shia militias backed by Iran have historically operated in that area.

US officials publicly labeled the forces that entered the de-confliction zone as pro-regime but sources told CNN that they were largely Iranian-backed Shia militias.

Last week, the coalition said that a relatively "small element" of pro-regime forces continued to hold their position inside the "de-confliction" zone surrounding the coalition training base.

Coalition spokesperson, Col. Ryan Dillon, told reporters last week that the pro-regime forces inside the zone represented an "armed and hostile presence" and "they pose a threat to us in that particular location."

"We are prepared to defend ourselves if pro-regime forces refuse to vacate the de-confliction zone," Dillon added.

On May 18th, CNN reported a similar incident when US-led coalition aircraft bombed pro-Syrian regime forces that "were advancing well inside an established de-confliction zone."

During that encounter, two US aircraft were dispatched as a "show of force" to get a convoy of 20 pro-regime vehicles to turn around, a US official said last month.

The official statement said that the vehicles did not stop despite the show of force and warning shots.

A second US defense official said, at the time, that an airstrike hit the convoy after the vehicles continued toward the base, striking an enemy tank and a bulldozer or front loader-type vehicle.

The convoy appears to have consisted not of regular Syrian army soldiers but of international Shia militiamen.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all