banner
Business

Update on the latest news, sports, business and entertainment:

Posted 10:05 a.m. Thursday
Updated 10:07 a.m. Thursday

CHARLOTTE POLICE-FATAL SHOOTING

Companies tell workers to stay home

Major companies with offices in downtown Charlotte are telling their employees to stay home after two nights of violent protests following the shooting of a black man by police earlier this week.

Bank of America, Wells Fargo and Duke Energy all told employees to stay away from the area Thursday, where disturbances have damaged several business fronts.

A Duke Energy spokesman says non-essential personnel who work downtown are being told to stay home for the day.

Wells Fargo spokesman Josh Dunn said the bank's staff is not required to report to work Thursday. Dunn said employees can work from home or another location if they're able. Employees unable to do so won't be required to take a personal day off.

Bank of America announced late Wednesday that its downtown staff will not report Thursday because of the damage.

The streets in downtown Charlotte appeared to be calm Thursday morning.

CHARLOTTE POLICE-FATAL SHOOTING-MAYOR

Mayor: Charlotte considers curfew after protests

The mayor of Charlotte says the city is considering a curfew after two nights of violence in the wake of the shooting of a black man by police.

Major Jennifer Roberts told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Thursday that city officials are talking about imposing a curfew.

Streets were calm Thursday morning, but several civilians and police officers were hurt in the second night of violence Wednesday night.

City spokeswoman Ashley Simmons told local media that Roberts' office will discuss a possible curfew with city police and the National Guard on Thursday.

The mayor said she wants people to know Charlotte is open for business Thursday. But at least three major companies told workers to avoid downtown offices.

The North Carolina National Guard arrived at a Charlotte armory early Thursday and some Guard vehicles left the armory about 8 a.m.

CHARLOTTE POLICE-FATAL SHOOTING-VIDEO

NEW: Mayor: No time frame for releasing police video

The mayor of Charlotte says officials have no time frame for when they might release camera footage of the fatal police shooting of a black man.

Mayor Jennifer Roberts told "NPR" Thursday morning that releasing the police video "depends on the investigation and its progress, and it depends on the discretion of the chief to some extent."

Calls for police to release the video have increased along with the violent protests, but the police chief has resisted. North Carolina has a law that takes effect Oct. 1 requiring a judge to approve releasing police video, and he said he doesn't release video when a criminal investigation is ongoing.

Roberts said she hopes to watch the video Thursday or Friday. "I certainly would feel better being able to see it," she said, adding that she doesn't know how conclusive the video footage is until she watches it.

Police said the plainsclothes officer who shot 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott, identified as Brently Vinson, has been placed on leave, standard procedure in such cases. Three uniformed officers at the shooting scene had body cameras; Vinson did not, police said.

CHICAGO POLICE-FEDERAL CHARGES

Arraignment scheduled for indicted Chicago police officer

A Chicago police officer who was recorded firing shots that injured two black teenagers is scheduled to be arraigned on federal civil rights charges.

Marco Proano is due in U.S. District Court on Thursday to enter a plea.

The 41-year-old officer was indicted last week on two counts of deprivation of rights. He's accused of using unreasonable force while on duty in 2013. Each count carries a maximum 10-year prison term.

The shooting was captured on dashboard-camera. It shows Proano firing his handgun multiple times into a car occupied by the two teenagers, who posed no apparent threat. The car was pulled over for speeding.

The indictment and release of video follows scrutiny of Chicago police since last November's video release showing a white officer fatally shooting a black teenager 16 times.

POLICE-GIRL DETAINED

Police video shows officer pepper spraying Maryland girl, 15

Police in Maryland have released body-camera video of an officer pepper-spraying a 15-year-old girl in a police cruiser when she refused to put her feet inside.

Hagerstown Police Capt. Paul Kifer has said the white officer who arrested the mixed-race girl had to subdue her with chemical spray to get her into a cruiser for a ride to the police station after her bicycle hit a car Sunday. The video released late Wednesday shows officers grabbing the girl as she rides away and struggling to handcuff her.

Later, video shows officers trying to persuade the girl to put her feet inside the cruiser and then an officer spraying through a window. The girl coughs and screams before the car drives off.

Police say the girl was charged as a juvenile with assault and disorderly conduct.

CAMPAIGN 2016-TRUMP-POLICE SHOOTINGS

Trump decries 'lack of spirit'

Donald Trump says there's a "lack of spirit" between blacks and whites after two high-profile police shootings of black men and violent protests in Charlotte, North Carolina.

In a phone interview Thursday on "Fox & Friends," Trump said "there has to be a unity message somehow that has to get out and it starts with leadership."

The Republican presidential candidate's comments comes as he increasingly reaches out to African-American voters, at the same time as maintaining the tough law-and-order stance that appeals to core supporters.

He repeated his support for "stop-and-frisk,"a tactic which allows police to stop and search anyone they deem suspicious. A federal judge has ruled it discriminatory.

Trump said "it's quite unbelievable" that it's not being used in Chicago.

He said: "Chicago is out of control."

CAMPAIGN 2016-TRUMP-DEBATE

Trump says moderators shouldn't fact-check

Donald Trump says debate moderator Lester Holt shouldn't try to fact-check the candidates at next week's presidential debate.

Trump says it's up to the candidates themselves to call out their rivals when they are wrong. Trump spoke Thursday in a telephone interview on "Fox and Friends." He says the candidates should "argue it out."

NBC's Matt Lauer has received criticism for not pointing out factual errors by Trump at a recent forum on national security.

Trump says there's pressure on NBC's Holt ahead of Monday's debate at Hofstra University. He likens it to the pressure former Indiana University basketball coach and Trump supporter Bobby Knight used to put on referees.

Trump says: "A lot of people are watching to see whether or not he succumbs to that pressure."

CAMPAIGN-2016-CLINTON-DIGITAL-ADS

To reach millennials, Clinton reserves digital ad time

Hillary Clinton is reserving $30 million in digital advertising as she seeks to connect with young voters.

The Clinton campaign said it was investing in digital advertising during the final stretch of the campaign because young people increasingly get their news online, rather than through live television.

Seeking to reach young voters — including young African-Americans and Latinos — they'll be placing ads on outlets like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Telemundo and BET.

Clinton has struggled to win support from younger voters, who were part of President Barack Obama's winning coalition in 2008 and 2012.

The campaign is also releasing a new radio ad with First Lady Michelle Obama that will air on African-American radio stations in Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

SYRIA

Rocket attack on Turkish border town wounds 6

A senior official says at least six people were wounded by the rocket that struck the Turkish town of Kilis, on the border with Syria.

Gov. Ismail Catakli told Turkey's state-run Anadolu Agency that the wounded included five children. One of the wounded was in serious condition.

Earlier, a ruling party legislator had said three Syrians were wounded.

SYRIA-HOMS

UPDATE: 261 people evacuated from Syria's Homs

Syrian state TV says buses have evacuated 261 residents from the last rebel-held neighborhood in Homs, the country's third largest city.

The broadcaster says evacuations have finished for Thursday. They are part of an agreement between rebels and the authorities to lift a government blockade on the neighborhood that has been enforced since November 2013. Residents agree to allow the government to restore its authority over the neighborhood, under the deal. Gunmen who object to the arrangement have agreed to be evacuated.

An estimated 75,000 residents are still in the neighborhood, with dwindling supplies of food and medicine.

The group that left Al-Waer Thursday contained 103 gunmen and 158 women, children, and older men. They were transferred to the northern Homs countryside, and will be bussed to rebel-held Idlib on Saturday.

WALL STREET

UPDATE: US stocks open higher

Stocks are opening higher on Wall Street as energy stocks rise along with the price of crude oil.

Adding to their gains from a day earlier, oil and gas stocks snapped higher in early trading Thursday. Murphy Oil jumped 4 percent.

Materials companies also gained. Copper miner Freeport-McMoRan rose 4 percent.

UNEMPLOYMENT-BENEFITS

US claims for jobless aid slide to lowest level since July

The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits fell last week to the lowest level since July, more evidence that U.S. workers are enjoying job security.

The Labor Department says jobless claims slid by 8,000 to a seasonally adjusted 252,000. That matched the level in mid-July, which was the lowest since April. The less-volatile four-week average fell by 2,250 to 258,500.

Weekly claims have come in below 300,000 for 81 straight weeks, longest such streak since 1970.

Applications for unemployment benefits are a proxy for measuring layoffs. The low level of claims suggests that companies are holding onto staff.

The U.S. job market has been solid despite lackluster economic growth. Unemployment is at a healthy 4.9 percent, and employers have added 204,000 jobs a month over the past year.

MIDWEST FLOODING

NEW: Heavy rain swamps portions of several Midwestern states

It's a soggy start to fall for several Midwestern states, where heavy rain has flooded homes, closed major highways and stranded motorists.

In Minnesota, where as much as 8 to 10 inches of rain fell in the Twin Cities area Wednesday night, the Department of Transportation fired up its snowplows to move standing water off major thoroughfares. About 75 miles to the south, several homes were evacuated in Waseca where nearly 14 inches of rain fell over two days.

In western Wisconsin, a portion of Highway 35 was closed because of a number of mudslides. Several school districts canceled classes Thursday because of travel difficulties.

In Iowa, the National Weather Service says at least three tornadoes knocked down trees and destroyed a couple of sheds in Floyd and Butler counties.

TROPICAL WEATHER

Tropical Depression Karl forecast to strengthen in Atlantic

Tropical Depression Karl is forecast to strengthen in the Atlantic.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center says the depression's maximum sustained winds early Thursday are near 35 mils an hour, with some strengthening forecast during the next two days.

As of 5 a.m. EDT Thursday, Karl was centered about 625 miles south-southeast of Bermuda and moving northwest near 16 miles an hour.

Farther east, Tropical Storm Lisa is expected to weaken. The storm's maximum sustained winds are near 45 miles an hour.

Lisa was centered about 710 miles west-northwest of the Cabo Verde Islands and is moving northwest near 14 miles an hour.

ITALY-FERTILITY-DAY

Italy campaign to combat infertility stumbles with racist ad

Italy's efforts to combat infertility and reverse one of Europe's lowest birthrates have stumbled with an ad campaign denounced as sexist, racist and ignorant of the economic reasons why Italians aren't having babies.

Italy on Thursday celebrated its first-ever "Fertility Day," promoted by the Health Ministry to prevent infertility through education and health programs.

Health Minister Beatrice Lorenzin sought to keep on message but was on the defensive after being forced to remove a "Fertility Day" publicity flyer denounced as racist. The flyer showed four light-skinned adults at the beach illustrating "good habits" for reproductive health, over a group of young people, including a black man, smoking.

Earlier ads were criticized as sexist for featuring a woman holding an hourglass with the words "Beauty doesn't have an age. Fertility does."

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all