National News

UPDATE: Man in custody after hours long standoff with law enforcement News: North Fargo Standoff

Posted August 2

— According to Fargo Police, the man at center of a north Fargo standoff is in custody.

23-year-old Tate Smith-Nerlien,of Fargo was arrested after nearly a five hour standoff with police.

Tuesday at 2:06 PM, officers were sent to an assault at 1007 8th Avenue north.

When officers arrived at the residence, they saw a female victim jumping out of a window.

The victim indicated the male suspect was still in the house, and he had warrants for his arrest.

The female victim was treated for her injuries at a local emergency room, and the extent of her injuries are unknown at this time.

Officers made entry into the house and encountered a second female, who was removed from the house.

Officers located a locked utility room door, and attempted to enter the room. Officers heard what they believed to be a single gunshot coming from within the locked room, and they backed out of the house requesting assistance.

Additional officers responded from the Fargo Police Department, as well as from the West Fargo, Moorhead, NDSU Police Departments, deputies from the Cass County Sheriff's Office, and agents from other State and Federal law enforcement agencies.

Rescue and medical personnel from the Fargo Fire Department, and FM Ambulance were also on scene. The Red River Valley Regional SWAT team was also deployed in this incident.

Smith-Nerlien voluntarily surrendered to members of the Red River Valley Regional SWAT team shortly after 7:00 PM. He was arrested for Aggravated Assault (C Felony), Terrorizing (C Felony), Preventing Arrest (C Felony), and a local misdemeanor warrant. Detectives from the Fargo Police Investigations Division executed a search warrant of the premises, but were unable to locate a firearm.

Stick with Valley News Live for more updates on this developing story.


We're learning more about an incident in north Fargo where shots were fired just after 2:00 pm Tuesday.

It happened at 1007 8th Avenue North.

Officer Jessica Schindeldecker told Valley News Live there was one shot fired, and the call came in as a domestic.

She says a female jumped out of a window in a home at this address. The woman was injured and was taken to Essentia hospital.

Officer Schindeldecker says officers entered the home, came upon a door that was closed, and when they tried to enter they thought they heard a single gunshot.

At that point, Schindeldecker says the officers backed out of the house and set up a perimeter. No officers were hurt when they were in the house.

Officers believe there is one man inside the home. At this point, police say they do not know the relationship between the man and the female who jumped out the window.

The woman told police the man inside has a warrant out for his arrest, and officers have confirmed that information.

Fargo Police say residents in the immediate area of 1007 8 Ave N please shelter in place until further notice.

There was also a fire called in just moments before in the same area.

Streets surrounding 8th Avenue North are being blocked off and perimeter is being established right now.

A viewer tells us they've seen officers carrying large rifles, K9's on scene and nearly half a dozen SWAT members before they went into their lower level.

Fargo Police are telling residents to shelter in place until they can be evacuated.

We have a reporter on the way there now, stay with Valley News Live for updates.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all