Local News

UNC student injured in lab explosion

Posted January 5, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A University of North Carolina graduate student was injured Monday when a flask of nitric acid exploded in a laboratory, authorities said.

The unidentified student was working on the third floor of Kenan Labs when the explosion occurred, authorities said. No evacuation of the area was needed, authorities said.

The student was taken to UNC Hospitals for treatment of cuts and burns, authorities said.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • any1butcarolina0405 Jan 5, 2009

    university labs are horrible for things like this. no one ever labels anything and you know, there are a lot of things that look like water or some other harmless substance when not labeled correctly. hope this guy plans on making some changes in the laboratory.

  • dpcallah Jan 5, 2009

    I wonder if he got any awesome super powers from his accidental contact with chemicals?

  • Proud Airman Jan 5, 2009


  • Riddickfield Jan 5, 2009

    Sounds like someone tried to put something other than nitric acid into the flask. Even water will make it go boom if that's the case.

  • colliedave Jan 5, 2009

    The acid didn't explode on its own; it had to be mixed with something.

    Way back in my high school days, a prankster flushed a bunch of potassium down the comode earning him a well-deserved vacation.

  • Gnathostomata Jan 5, 2009

    Praying for a speedy recovery for this student.

  • iron fist Jan 5, 2009

    I hope the student makes a fast recovery and doesn't have life altering burns and injuries.