Local News

UNC 'all clear' after bomb threat

Posted February 15, 2009
Updated February 16, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Police at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill said the campus was "all clear" Monday morning after an unidentified man said he had a bomb Sunday evening.

As a safety precaution, authorities had evacuated buildings around "The Pit" at about 9 p.m.

The sunken courtyard is in the middle of campus, near the R.B. House Undergraduate Library and the Frank Porter Graham Student Union, and is a popular meeting place for students.

Extensive bomb squad searches late Sunday night and early Monday ended when officials determined there was no threat to the campus. Police said they would continue investigating the incident.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • IHave1-2 Feb 16, 2009

    Pranksters must enjoy watching the money be spent for their thrills. I smell restitution - yes dude, you WILL be tracked and caught. Get ready for 'restitution' payments. On the flipside, I'm sure it was good practice for authorities at all levels, in the event it had been a true, live bomb situation.

  • Caveman93 Feb 16, 2009

    ECU had one last week Friday as well