Local News

Unattended heater blamed for Durham apartment fire

Posted January 29, 2015

Firefighters respond Jan. 29, 2015, to a fire at Palmer Street Apartments in Durham.
Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A heater left unattended on a rear porch is to blame for a fire at a Durham apartment complex Thursday afternoon, investigators said.

Firefighters responded around 11:45 a.m. to a two-story building at Palmer Street Apartments – 1701 Palmer St. off Chapel Hill Road.

The blaze caused severe damage to the second-floor apartment where the fire started on a rear porch. Three other apartments suffered heat, smoke and water damage.

No one was injured in the fire, authorities said. Durham police who arrived before the fire department were able to go door-to-door to alert residents who were home.

The fire displaced five people, who were receiving assistance Thursday night from the American Red Cross.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all