Local News

Two killed in Lumberton house fire

Posted March 30, 2009
Updated April 2, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Two women died early Sunday in a house fire in Lumberton, police said.

Five people were in the home at 1207 E. 11th St. when the fire started at about 4:30 a.m. Sunday, police said. The cause of the fire was ruled accidental.

Barbara Belt, 74, and Amanda Daniels, 24, died in the fire, police said.

Patricia Daniels, 51, Isaac Maddox, 2, and Lindsey Maddox, 1, were all listed in critical condition at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill Thursday.

Lumberton Police said the father of the two injured children was at the home doing maintenance work including fixing the washing machine and installing carpet.

The man, whose name was not released, was trying to remove the carpet, which had been glued down. There was flooring underneath the carpet. He used acetone and gas to remove the glue.

After about an hour, the man decided to take a cigarette break. It is unknown if the man lit the cigarette in or outside of the room, but the combination of the vapors in the room caused the house to ignite.

The man suffered very minor burns.

Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all