Local spas offer relaxing gift ideas for Valentine's Day
Posted February 6, 2014
Updated November 10
Raleigh, N.C. — There is nothing like being pampered. That is what makes spa gift cards such an attractive and easy present for that special someone this Valentine's Day. It is also a great way to pamper yourself after a rough few weeks or for your birthday. (Hint, hint: Mine is just around the corner)
Here's a roundup of some of the local spas offers Valentine specials (Note: Many of these specials are available all month, so just call the spa to book to get a gift card):
Healing Waters Spa and Cosmetic Clinic (Durham) - This place offers cosmetic procedures, plastic surgery and traditional spa services like massages, body treatments and facials. Don't be intimidated because they offer the medical services as well as the spa stuff. I went there this week and they really do keep the sections separate. If you want more info about botox, injectables, plastic surgery, they offer free consults, but they don't push anything on you. The spa section focuses on a traditional spa experience.
They divide the year into quarters and each has a theme. We are in the middle of "Calm," which means services are geared in that direction to help you relax and chill out to start the year. They even offer a special infused water in the quiet room each quarter. Now, it is cucumber-basil - really good!
Their Valentine's Day specials include facials and massages bundled with a gift:
- Always Package ($95) - Facial and massage sampler (30 minutes) - facial cleansing, toning, treatment mask, and moisturizer. During facial, guest get a neck and shoulder massage and paraffin wrap for feet. You also get 2 oz. bottles of Healing Waters bubble bath and massage oil to take home. This package offers a great value for someone just wanting to get a taste of the spa life without taking up the entire day or breaking the bank. They offer Pure MD Skin facials, which use an exclusive, nearly medical-grade line of products. Estheticians tailor the facial to your skin, so it really is a custom treatment each time. April, my esthetician, used this great pomegranate exfoliant on my combo skin.
- Forever Package ($195) - River Rock Warm Stone Massage (90 minutes), Younger Hands Treatment and 8 oz. bottles of the massage and bubble bath to take home. I tried out this massage and can attest to you that it is truly relaxing. Just make sure that you tell your masseuse if the stones are too hot or if you get too hot under the sheets. The stones raise your core temperature.
- Additional tip: Treatments all start with a rosemary-scented foot bath in the quiet room. Grab a cup of tea and some snacks and just relax by the fire.
Skin Sense day spa (Raleigh) - With locations off of Falls of Neuse Road and Brier Creek, this spa has a great list of services to help take the stress away. I've had some great massages here! I am also a huge fan of their relaxation room. Get there early so you can chill out by the fireplace. The room is much larger than some other spa's quiet rooms.
Here are the specials they are running for Valentine's Day:
- Hot Mint-Chocolate Couples Massage ($190) - This 50 minute treatment starts with a warmed chocolate oil massage. After being wrapped in hot towels, you get a nice mint lotion massage onto your feet.
- Chocolate and Hot Stone Pedicure ($60) - They massage your feet with a blend of cocoa and nourishing minerals.
- Champagne and Chocolate Covered Strawberries Facial ($95) - Antioxidant strawberries help exfoliate and brighten the skin, then a champagne toner helps moisturize and soothe. It's all followed by a chocolate mousse masque. Our problem would be trying not to eat this!
- Just the Two of Us package ($400) - For two, includes a hot mint-chocolate couples massage, milk and honey pedicure and Muditation. Who doesn't need a little mud in their lives, right??
- Love is in the Air ($290) - Champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries facial, peppermint patty massage and milk and honey pedicure. My problem would be trying to not eat this while they are putting it on my face!
- Other deals: Get a free $25 gift card when purchasing one valued at $150 or more. Purchase a series of five visits for the same type of treatment and get the sixth treatment free.
- Parents night out? They are teaming up with Kidz Celebrate to offer a special slumber party event. Just call 919-645-9799.
- There are also membership specials.
- Additional tip for Skin Sense: They offer daily specials so you can get some services at a discount. Just follow them on social media for the deal of the day and then book it that morning. A great way to save a buck and spend an afternoon!)
Spa by Mitchell's (Raleigh and Cary) - This was the first spa I visited when I moved to North Carolina. Their BioElements facials leave your skin feeling very refreshed and revived. The manicures and pedicures are also pretty outstanding. (Ask for Sophia!)
- Valentine Special ($99) - Swedish massage (55 minutes) and hydrotherapy pedicure. I'm a huge fan of their pedicures.
- Additional tip for Spa by Mitchell's: On Tuesdays, they offer 20 percent off all services. Note: This doesn't include packages, specials or haircuts with directors or senior directors. Sign up for their newsletter for emails about upcoming customer appreciation deals.
Natural Body Spa and Shop (Raleigh) - Located in North Hills, this spa offers a range of services in addition to their heated pool, sauna and steam room. Here are a few of their Valentine's Day specials:
- "Date Night" ($185 for 1 hour, $265 for 90-minutes) - "Togetherness" massage involving Origins Love Oil. You also get a free gift of the Good Clean Love Oil Rollerball, Jurlique Rose Fragrance Rollerball and the Tea Forte Noir Sampler for two.
- "Date Night" alternative ($190 for 1 hour, $230 for 90-minutes) - One person gets a massage while the second person gets a signature facial service. Free gifts are the same as the first "Date Night" package.
- "Eternal Love" age defying facial ($125) - Comes with a free gift of the Jurlique Rose Fragrance Rollerball and the Tea Forte Noir Sampler for two.
The Umstead Hotel and Spa (Cary) - This lavish spa was named one of the Top 50 Hotel Spas in the country by Conde Nast Traveler readers. They offer a range of treatments, including some pretty decadent body masks. For relieving dried out winter skin, we recommend the Buttermilk and Honey Wrap ($145 for a 75-minute treatment). They are celebrating February with an entire month of deals centered around chocolate and champagne:
- Champagne and Rose Facial ($120, 50 minutes)
- Champagne and Rose Swedish Massage ($120, 50 minutes)
- Chocolate Swedish Massage ($85, 75 minutes)
- Chocolate Luxury Pedicure ($85, 75 minutes)
- Additional tip: Book dinner at Heron's and a stay at the hotel for a local romantic getaway. They are booked up Feb. 14-15, but you can always celebrate another weekend.
Head to The Junction Salon in the Raleigh Depot for a special "His and Her's" Valentine's Package. Through Feb. 28, you can get a package of two pedicures (with Maria and Alicia only, sorry this doesn't apply to my personal Nail God, Carlos), and two complimentary cocktails for $65. Regularly this would run you $86.
Von Kekel Salon Spa (Raleigh) - Located in Lafayette Village, this spa has a ton of specials going on for Valentine's Day:
- Date Night ($68) - Shampoo style and Aveda makeup application.
- Love Bug ($76) - Classic manicure and pedicure
- My Valentine ($115) - Shampoo style, makeup application and classic pedicure.
- Aphrodite ($130) - 1-hour facial or Swedish massage, spa pedicure.
- Cupid's Arrow ($148) - 1 hour Aveda facial and 1 hour Swedish massage
- Down Time ($264) - 1 hour Swedish massage, 1 hour Aveda facial, classic manicure and pedicure.
- Aveda Men ($218) - 90-minute deep tissue massage, 1 hour men's facial.
- Replenish ($232) - 1 hour Healing Stone massage, 1 hour Dead Sea Salt Scrub, Therapeutic spa pedicure.
- Bliss ($356) - 1 hour Aveda facial, 1 hour Swedish massage, shampoo style and therapeutic spa manicure and pedicure with paraffin dip.
Massage Envy (Various locations across the Triangle) - This is a great gift for those wading into the spa waters. They have great prices and a range of massages and facials available as late as 10 p.m., seven days a week. Massages start as low as $49 and facials for $59 at some locations. They also use Murad skincare products, which are some of my favorite. Try out a massage or facial and then if you like it, you can decide to become a member. I had a prenatal massage here and it was very helpful in relieving my lower back pain. Just don't expect the whole "spa" decadence. The waiting room is just a waiting room and not a quiet room.