Local News

Trash fire gets North Edgecombe High students an early dismissal

Posted May 20, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Students at North Edgecombe High School in Tarboro were dismissed early Thursday after a small fire in a trash can was reported in a restroom.

No one was hurt and there was no damage to the building, school officials said.

Smoke was reported just after 1 p.m. The 450 students in grades 9 through 12 were evacuated while firefighters responded. They were sent home for the day at about 2:30 p.m. Classes will resume as normal Friday.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • LibertarianTechie May 20, 2010

    stevenalowe, unless it was more than just a trash fire.

  • stevenalowe May 20, 2010

    Smoke reported just after 1:00 - Students sent home at 2:30? What was the hold up? If you wait until 2:30, ya might as well stay for the duration. Just sayin'.