Paving work to close Five Points intersections
Posted July 5, 2010
Raleigh, N.C. — The state Department of Transportation on Tuesday will close Whitaker Mill Road and Fairview Road where they intersect with Glenwood Avenue as part of the ongoing paving work on Glenwood.
The closures will begin at 8 a.m. Tuesday, and Glenwood Avenue will have a two-lane, two-way traffic pattern through the area. Also, Fairview Road will be in a two-lane, two-way pattern from Glenwood Avenue to Scales Street.
During the traffic pattern, drivers can expect the following:
- The ramp from westbound Glenwood Avenue to westbound Wade Avenue will be closed, so drivers needing to access westbound Wade Avenue from westbound Glenwood Avenue should take Oberlin Road to Wade Avenue.
- The ramp from westbound Wade Avenue to westbound Glenwood Avenue will be closed, so drivers needing to access westbound Glenwood Avenue from westbound Wade Avenue should take Oberlin Road to Glenwood Avenue.
- Harvey Street will be closed at Glenwood Avenue, but on-street parking will be available from Scales Street to Glenwood Avenue.
- West Aycock Street will be closed at Glenwood Avenue.
- On-street parking will not be allowed on Glenwood Avenue or on Fairview Road from Glenwood Avenue to Scales Street.
- Sidewalks will be open on all of the roads for the duration of the project.
- Scales Street will remain in a two-lane, two-way pattern from Fairview Road to Harvey Street.
- Pedestrian crossings across Glenwood Avenue at Harvey Street and Glen Avenue will be closed because of construction activity.
Drivers are encouraged to use Oberlin Road or Capital Boulevard as an alternate route.
DOT crews are resurfacing Glenwood Avenue between Wade Avenue and Woman's Club Drive. The $1.7 million project involves removing the crumbling top layer of asphalt, milling the base and applying a new layer of asphalt.
Officials said the project is taking longer than expected because they found the pavement base was crumbling as they removed the asphalt.