Bridge repairs close part of I-40

Posted June 17, 2008

— Officials have closed a portion of Interstate 40 in Sampson County to repair a bridge damaged last week when a truck hit it.

A statement from the state Department of Transportation says the interstate is closed at mile marker 355 north of Clinton.

It is expected that the road will remain closed until June 26. Repairs will be ongoing during the period and motorists are advised to follow detour signs and drive safely through the work zone.

Minor delays are expected during the weekdays; major delays, up to 10 miles or more, are expected on the weekend

The DOT suggests the following detours:

U.S. Highway 117 North (Exit 369)to N.C. Highway 403 South in Faison to N.C. Highway 50 to Sutton Town Road to I-40 West. (Route indicated in blue on map below.)

N.C. Highway 24 West 9 (Exit 364) to U.S. Highway 701 Business North in Clinton and continuing north on U.S. 701 to I-40 West. (Route indicated in red on map below.)


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • DOG Jun 17, 2008

    Beachnut/ You couldn't have said it better. I don't believe some of the WRAL employees put much thought into what they type.

  • silverflash Jun 17, 2008

    On sunday afternoon, at least around 6pm, traffic was backed up from mile marker 364- the warsaw/24 exit all the way to 355 where the bridge was closed. i waitied about 30 minutes and came to a cutover where there was a sign "road closed" that someone set aside. I went for it and did a u-turn went back to 364 and took 24 then 701 to where it intersect 40 around 348 or so. Anyways, it took me an additional 30 minutes out of my way but after hearding people waiting for 1.5 hours, I am now glad i did it.

  • ncguy71 Jun 17, 2008

    This information would have been helpful last week.

    Thank goodness that my friend informed us when they got stuck in traffic. I was able to detour around this mess with the help of my Garmin Nuvi. They were stuck in that mess for more than an hour and a half.

  • just my2cents Jun 17, 2008

    oatman, the bridge may be structurally inadequate from the impact, therefore even if no work was taking place, it was still not safe to travel underneath that portion of the bridge. Sometimes debris falls for days after the impact. If they would not have had a lane closure and you'd have been hit, would you complain then too?

  • sp Jun 17, 2008

    I was also stuck in the mess on Sunday, it took 1 hour and a half to go ten miles, just to be able to exit off of 40. People were acting crazy.

  • hooptie1964 Jun 17, 2008

    oatman - did you ever stop to think there may be limited options for a detour? Sheesh.

  • Beachnut Jun 17, 2008

    WRAL you need to get all the facts and tell the whole story, i.e. when did this happen? What lanes are affected? Wouldn't a phone call to DOT have provided all the pertinent facts? Thankfully the GOLO folks above noted your omissions.

  • swagner Jun 17, 2008

    Actually the accident happened a week ago on Monday June 9th. I know because my husband works for the Sampson County Bridge dept. and he was called in to work. They have someone working on the bridge but its a contractor, not the actual state workers.

  • Southern Country Jun 17, 2008

    The accident actually happened closer to 2-1/2 weeks ago. I don't know how long the bridge detours have been in place.

  • oatman Jun 17, 2008

    I was stuck in that mess for an hour and a half Sunday. The "detour" is totally inadequate. And guess what? It looked like there was nobody working.