Green Guide

Toxic algae prompts health advisory for SW Idaho lake

Posted August 26

— Visitors at a southwest Idaho lake shouldn't enter the water due to toxic algae.

Southwest District Health tells the Idaho Press-Tribune ( in a story on Saturday that high concentrations of blue-green algae at Lake Lowell led to the health advisory.

Officials say coming in contact with the algae can cause nausea, vomiting, liver damage and other problems.

Anglers are encouraged to clean and rinse their catch with uncontaminated water.

Lake Lowell is part of the Dear Flat National Wildlife Refuge that's managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all