Local News

Toddler burned at Lake Royale

Posted May 13, 2012
Updated May 14, 2012

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A 2-year-old girl was severely burned when she fell into a fire at the popular Lake Royale recreational area in Franklin County Sunday afternoon, police said.

Lake Royale Police Chief Jarrett Umstead said that Ta'mya Kiefer's grandparents and parents were burning leaves and yard debris at 196 Red Wing Drive when she stumbled and fell into the fire. The adults pulled her out of the fire.

Ta'mya was flown by helicopter to the North Carolina Jaycees Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill. Umstead said she had burns to the lower half of her body.

Police said the incident was accidental, and no charges have been filed.

13 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • mya051110 May 14, 2012

    Sweeter than pie ..umm this is the todler mother and No it couldnt have been prevented u need to get ur facts straight before u say anything or dont say anything at all it wasnt even a fire she fell in it was some ashes feom the night before she was just playing like she always does and tripped and fell

  • whats happening May 14, 2012

    usalimousine.... Yes it is the parents/grandparents fault for failing to watch the 2 year old around a fire. It wasn't any fault of the 2 year old.... I'm sure the grandparents didn't want this to happen but it could have been prevented. I'm praying the toddler does not suffer too much...burns are horrible.

  • usalimousine May 14, 2012

    This is sad and toddlers are fast sometimes. Not the parents or grandparents fault may god bless this child to a speedy recovery and our prayers go out to the family as well as the child may god heal your pain

  • sunshineonmyshoulder May 14, 2012

    When I was a small child and my mom and dad had to get things done like that outdoors, my mom would take my "playpen" out underneath a shade tree where she could see me and put me in it with some toys. It was up to me I guess to play, sleep or cry, but she didn't have to worry about me getting hurt.

  • michaelclay May 14, 2012

    "Helicopter evac ? Burned how ? Lame reporting."
    harleysfather60

    harleysfather60, if you didn't understand this artical I wouldn't be call the reporting lame.

  • 2323 May 14, 2012

    So sad to think of a little girl like that in pain. Prayers...

  • not my real name May 14, 2012

    kids are FAST! Never let them out of your sight, not even for a second. God Bless her!

  • whats happening May 14, 2012

    How could the grandparents allow a 2 year old to be that close to a fire? It was too close if she fell in the fire! Maybe the (grand)parents need to attend a few parenting classes. That's common sense 101....

  • Scubagirl May 14, 2012

    How horrible the grandparents must feel. Hoping the child recovers quickly and fully.

  • harleysfather60 May 14, 2012

    Thx for correcting at 10:24 am

More...