Political News

The Latest: Chicago police superintendent gets new kidney

Posted August 30

— The Latest on Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson's kidney transplant operation (all times local):

7:30 p.m.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson has undergone a successful kidney transplant operation that lasted for several hours.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi (gooh-YEHL'-meeh) says Johnson was resting comfortably Wednesday after the surgery at Rush University Medical Center. He said the superintendent and his son, who donated the kidney, got through the surgery without incident.

The hospital reported in a statement that Johnson is in fair condition and his vital signs are stable. His 25-year-old son is reported in good condition.

When he arrived at the hospital early Wednesday, Johnson appeared calm and even joked with reporters about what might happen as a result of the operation. He said he hoped "I don't get the urge to do the things that college kids do."

Doctors expect Johnson to remain in the hospital for three to five days and then at home for three to six weeks.


12:25 p.m.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson has arrived at a Chicago hospital where he's to undergo transplant surgery, receiving a kidney from his son.

Johnson and his 25-year-old son, Daniel, were to have simultaneous surgeries Wednesday at Rush University Medical Center. Johnson disclosed in January that he was on a waiting list for a kidney transplant because he has potentially life-threatening kidney inflammation.

Johnson talked to reporters about organ donation before he entered the hospital. He said he wanted to let people know that they "can change somebody's life" by donating.

The superintendent also said it's a "humbling thought" that part of his son would now be inside him.

Johnson says his recovery will include three to five days in the hospital and three to six weeks at home.


4:40 a.m.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson is set for a kidney transplant.

Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says Johnson is scheduled to arrive at Rush University Medical Center at 6 a.m. Wednesday for the surgery later in the morning. Guglielmi says that Johnson's surgeon will have a news conference on Thursday to discuss the operation and the operation on Johnson's 25-year-old son who is donating one of his kidneys to his father.

Johnson disclosed in January after suffering a public dizzy spell that he has battled for decades a potentially life-threatening inflammation of his kidneys and was on a waiting list for a kidney transplant.

Johnson is expected to be back working at police headquarters within three to five weeks.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all