Teen electrocuted while using phone in bathtub
Posted July 12
Do you ever scroll through your Facebook feed or fill your Amazon cart on your phone while lounging in the bathtub? While this might sound harmless, it could actually be very dangerous-or even deadly. In fact, a Texas teenager was electrocuted last week after using her phone in the tub.
Madison Coe, 14, died when she either plugged her phone into an outlet or grabbed the phone from the outlet as it was charging, her mother, Angela O’Guinn Downs, told People. While officials have not yet determined the cause of death, a burn mark on Coe’s hand indicates that she was electrocuted while holding her phone.
Coe’s father, who went in to check on the teen after she didn’t respond, found her unresponsive. Although emergency personnel were called and attempted life-saving measures, Coe was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Her family and friends are deeply saddened by the loss of this young life, and they are using the tragedy to warn others about the dangers of using electrical devices in the bathroom near water. Coe’s grandmother talks more about the tragedy and her beloved granddaughter in the video below:
“We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix,” O’Guinn Downs told KCBD. “She's just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart.”
A Go Fund Me page has been set up in the teen’s name to help the family with medical and memorial costs. A recent 8th grade graduate, Coe will be remembered for her positive attitude and kindness, according to friends and family. She was a basketball player and a first-chair tuba player in the band at Terra Vista Middle School.
This is not the first incident of electrocution from a phone in the bathtub. In 2015, a 24-year-old woman was killed in the same manner as Coe. Never bring a phone that is connected to the charger into the bathtub. To make sure you stay safe around electronics and water in the bathroom, follow these other guidelines as well:
- Make sure that your outlets are located a safe distance from the shower/bathtub. Cover them when they are not in use.
- Repair any exposed or frayed wiring.
- Never bring any plugged-in electrical devices, such as a hair dryer, into the bathtub or shower with you.
- Make sure all electrical work is performed by a licensed professional.