State News

Teen charged in death of man whose house was set on fire

Posted August 10

— A teenager has been charged in the death of a North Carolina man who was robbed and whose house was set ablaze.

The Hickory Daily Record reports the 16-year-old boy appeared in Catawba County District Court on Wednesday and is charged with murder in the death of 40-year-old Harry Lewis Bruner Jr.

Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid said earlier this week that autopsy results indicated Bruner was fatally shot. Reid said a large amount of cash was missing from the home and has yet to be found.

An Aug. 5 search warrant says firefighters found a container of what appeared to be flammable liquid. The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and county's Fire Marshal's Office are still investigating the fire's cause.

It's unclear if the teen has a lawyer.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all