Durham, N.C. — Prosecutors said Tuesday that they won't seek the death penalty against three men accused of fatally shooting a Greensboro man at a Durham shopping center last month.
Monquell L. Davis, 19, Deshario Tamaurious Mitchell, 18, and Kadeem Rasheed Johnson, 18, all of Durham, each face a charge of first-degree murder in the Feb. 9 shooting death of Brian Christopher Keys, 24, in the Renaissance Center shopping center near Streets at Southpoint.
During a bond hearing earlier this month, Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Bedford said Keys met the three men to sell them marijuana but that the three showed up with guns. Why they allegedly shot him, she said, is still unclear.
Davis, Mitchell and Johnson are each in the Durham County jail under $2 million bonds.
Davis, who also faces charges of fleeing to elude arrest and felony hit-and-run resulting in injury, allegedly drove the getaway car after Keys was shot, Bedford said.