Study: Raleigh metro ranks among healthiest in the US
Posted May 18
Raleigh, N.C. — For the third straight year, the nation's capital was ranked by a major insurance company as the healthiest city in the United States but the City of Oaks wasn't too far behind.
This year, like past two years, the American Fitness Index ranked the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area as the healthiest in the country. The ranking is a joint effort of the Anthem Foundation and the American College of Sports Medicine.
The study looks at personal health indicators as well as community and environmental indicators to rank the nation's top 50 metropolitan statistical areas.
The healthiest metro areas in the nation are:
1. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
2. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
3. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO
4. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA
5. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA
6. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
7. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH
8. Salt Lake City, UT
9. Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT
10. San Diego-Carlsbad, CA
11. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
12. Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI
13. Sacramento-Roseville-Arden-Arcade, CA
14. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA
15.5 (tie) Austin-Round Rock, TX
15.5 (tie) Raleigh, NC
For the full American Fitness Index ranking, click here.