Students return to Helena middle school after fire
Posted May 11
HELENA, Mont. — Students resumed classes at a Helena middle school on Thursday after missing two days while crews cleaned up water and smoke damage from a fire believed to have started in a light fixture.
The fire at C.R. Anderson Middle School happened Monday afternoon after the students had left. No one was injured. The sprinkler system quickly put out the fire but left water damage in the cafeteria and gymnasium.
Superintendent Jack Copps tells the Independent Record (bit.ly/2r1pj6F) the fire caused about $350,000 in damage. Copps says they may have to clean up asbestos if the water damage causes floor tiles to come up.
A large special education area and two classrooms will not be available for the rest of the school year. Students who typically use those rooms will be moved to computer labs.