One arrested in string of Raleigh sweepstakes business robberies
Posted January 21, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
Raleigh, N.C. — One person was arrested Thursday in connection with a string of sweepstakes business robberies in Raleigh between Dec. 21. and Jan. 20.
Ephraim D'Carus Smith, 24, was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon in connection with the Jan. 20 robbery of Good Luck Sweepstakes at 3308 Capital Boulevard. Investigators said a CrimeStoppers tip played a significant role in Smith's arrest.
Detectives are searching for suspects in the other robberies:
- Two men robbed Treasure Sweepstakes at 3689 New Bern Avenue on Dec. 21. At least one suspect was armed with a handgun.
- Two men robbed Paradise Bingo at 2620 S. Saunders Street on Dec. 23. At least one suspect was armed with a handgun.
- Two men attempted to enter Capital Sweepstakes at 3031 Capital Boulevard on Dec. 30, but fled after discovering the door was locked.
- Three men robbed Magic Gold Sweepstakes at 4020 Capital Boulevard on Dec. 31. At least one suspect was armed with a handgun.
- Two men robbed AIB Sweepstakes at 2416 Crabtree Boulevard on Jan. 15. At least one suspect was armed with a handgun.
Authorities believe some of the robberies are related.
Anyone with information about either of the robberies is asked to call Raleigh CrimeStoppers at (919) 834-HELP or visit raleighcrimestoppers.org for text and email reporting options. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for anonymous tips that help solve cases.