Local News

State Regulators to Review Dogs' Poisoning Deaths

Posted June 27, 2007

— The state Department of Agriculture is investigating the deaths of two dogs killed by rat poison.

Fayetteville resident Lisa Rey said she hired the Cumberland County Health Department to bait her yard with rat poison last month because rodents were overrunning her back yard.

But she maintains the county worker failed to properly warn her of the dangers of the poison, and two of her dogs died soon after her yard was baited while a third became seriously ill.

The health department said the worker followed all procedures. But the Pest Control Division of the Agriculture Department  plans to review the incident to ensure everything was handled properly.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • corginole Jun 29, 2007

    I am truely sorry for Ms. Rey's loss.

    I'm all to familiar with the dangers of D-Con after my Corgi found a box last summer on vacation. Fortunately we caught him in the act. D-Con works as an anti-coagulant and some varieties are long-acting.

    I was not familiar with the effects and toxicity of Bromethalin, an alternative rodenticide. Reading up on that - http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/0903toxbrief.pdf?docID=1141 - there is no way I'd be comfortable with having it around the house/yard as there is no antidote if a pet is accidentally poisoned.

    I know there are some claims of rodenticides that do not act as seondary poisons (e.g. won't poison your pet if it eats a previously posioned animal), but I'm not willing to trust those claims.

    I do hope that this tragedy will encourage others to be aware of what they use. My mother-in-law forgot about the poison last summer. Our vet assured us, that if the Corgi finds another box, he WILL eat it again. They don't learn.


  • ohmygosh Jun 29, 2007

    Pet owner. Make a choice. Do you want rats around?
    No poison, you get rats. Now address the reason that rats were there in the first place. If you're unhappy the way the 'govt handled it, you can always hire a exterminator.

    People need to stop blaming others and look inward.

  • k9s Jun 29, 2007

    Poison is poison. Whether it takes a little to kill the dogs or a lot to kill the dogs. Common sense should dictate that the packets should have been placed where the dogs cannot get access to them. It shouldn't matter what the HD told her, how educated (or lack thereof) the worker was, common sense should prevail. It's truly horrible that the dogs had to die. Bottom line is it's poison and when ingested in large or small quantities it will kill whatever is ingesting it over time. When the worker said the dogs would have to eat their weight in it to suffer effects from it should have been the first red flag. The dogs should have never had access to it to begin with. At minimum the dogs should have been monitored while outside to prevent them from digging it up or however they got a hold of it.

  • it is getting worse Jun 28, 2007

    wow! the outrage over dogs dying. it's not like a child was aborted or anything....

  • 82ndwife Jun 28, 2007

    I love you Bob, couldnt have said it better myself !!!

  • LisaRey Jun 28, 2007

    Thank You!!!!!!!! Bob

  • innocent bystander Jun 28, 2007

    to kicktheirscoveryours, you have done an impressive job in "kicking theirs." Now let's see how how good you are at "covering yours."

    You indicate, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight in this tragic incident, that you would have conducted "serious research" before allowing the HD to bait the yard. Is this what you mean by saying you would make "some serious phone calls to the county?" Now why would anyone seek a second opinion from the very agency whose advice they are questioning in the first place? That seems, well, rather stupid. Or would you conduct your own independent research into the potential canine toxicity of these materials? If so, are there any particular veterinary toxicology references that you deem more authoritative than your own health department? Maybe you prefer .22 ratshot instead of bait?

    Please let us know exactly how you would have handled this situation differently, so that everyone on the web can sit back and second-guess all of YOUR mistakes.

  • poohperson Jun 28, 2007

    Did I say you were stupid?? No.. Did I say I was sorry that you lost your pets?? Yes.. Do I think you should have not allowed them to lay the poisoning, yes.. I am sorry you have learned a lesson the hard way.

    Like I stated, your home looked clean, your pets looked well taken care of, and I am sure you loved them dearly. It is merely my personal opinion that the risk you took by trusting those officials is not one I would have taken. Again that is just my opinion, and I do not think it makes me heartless, a serial killer, or some sort of horrible person.

    I have a 7 year old son and two cats that I love with all my heart. I personally would not have risked it with out further research.

    Again I am sorry for your loss. I do not know you and you do not know me, so I am not judging your character, I am just expressing my thoughts on what I would have done.

  • LisaRey Jun 28, 2007

    The type of poison used is believed to be the anticoagulant type.Thank you for your kind words. It is very easy to judge a situation when it dosnt involve you. Most of us trust the mechanic that says our brakes are fixed, or the electrician that wires our homes, or even our doctors when they diagnose a condition. I am not an idiot, and very aware of what poison is, but since I was told that it was safe to apply to homes with pets, I trusted that the ones in charge of this issue, would properly do the job. For that, I suppose some would like me to be punished in some way.I lost 2 members of my family, is that enough for you,KICKTHEIRSCOVERYOURS?? Appropriate name,by the way.

  • innocent bystander Jun 28, 2007

    LisaRey, were you able to find out what type of rat poison was actually applied by the HD worker? Not all rat poisons are alike, as you probably know by now, and some types are definitely safer to use around dogs than others. The anticoagulant types (such as warfarin) and vit. D analogs are especially toxic to dogs, but bromethalin is much less so. In fact, the lethal dose for an average-size dog really would be about 10-15 packets. I'm wondering whether he may have put out the wrong type by mistake?

    Those people who posted that you were "stupid" for believing what the HD worker told you actually appear to be the slow ones around here.