Michelle Young

Jury deliberates in Jason Young's murder trial

Posted June 24, 2011
Updated June 26, 2011

— The jury deciding the fate of a Raleigh man on trial for killing his pregnant wife spent its first full day Friday deliberating a verdict after 11 days of testimony in the case.

The seven men and five women spent about six hours deliberating and reviewing evidence, including security video, a DNA report and a transcript of a 911 call, before asking to go home shortly before 5:30 p.m.

Jason Young, 37, is accused of beating Michelle Young to death inside the couple's Wake County home more than four years ago. He has said he was in Virginia on business at the time.

Prosecutors say he returned home to Raleigh in the early hours of Nov. 3, 2006, and committed the crime before returning to Virginia and continuing on with his trip.

Michelle Young's sister discovered the body hours later, as well as the Youngs' 2-year-old daughter, Cassidy, unharmed and hiding under the covers of her parents' bed.

Her bloody footprints were all over the crime scene.

Jurors, who spent about two hours deliberating Thursday, were given a dry-erase board, flip board and markers Friday morning.

Around 11:30 a.m., they asked to see nine pieces of evidence, including a security video showing Jason Young's shoes as he left a restaurant on the evening of Nov. 2, 2006.

Investigators found a shoe print matching a pair of shoes that Jason Young purchased a year earlier and that he admitted to wearing frequently. He testified, however, that Michelle Young had gotten rid of the shoes when they became unfit to wear.

Jurors also wanted to see the clothes he was wearing in a photo of his daughter's third birthday party. Prosecutors say investigators were never able to find a dark shirt with a stripe across the chest that he was seen wearing in surveillance video image after he checked into a Virginia hotel on Nov. 2, 2006.

In the birthday photo, Jason Young is wearing a dark blue shirt with a stripe across the chest.

Other exhibits the jury requested were a still frame of him walking down a hotel hallway, crime scene photos of Cassidy's bathroom, MapQuest directions and a Sept. 12, 2006 email that Jason Young sent to his former fiancée in which he wrote that he would always love her.

Defense attorneys for Jason Young argued Thursday that their client did not kill his wife and that DNA evidence from the crime scene suggests that possibly two people were inside the house at the time of Michelle Young's death.

"We will never know what happened at 5108 Birchleaf Drive that night," defense attorney Bryan Collins told jurors during closing arguments Thursday. "This case is not solved. The evidence is not clear."

Prosecutors, however, said that the evidence in its totality proves otherwise.

"The evidence that you have heard shows that there is only one person who could possibly want Michelle dead, and that's why we're here," Assistant District Attorney David Saacks said.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Irishgirl Jun 27, 2011

    Not Guilty!!! Wake County needs to redeem themselves after the Brad Cooper Trail! - dukefan245

    I'd hate to think a jury had a "trade off" mindset. Regardless of the verdict - or lack of one at this point - I hope this case is considered on its own merits.

  • Irishgirl Jun 27, 2011

    Or maybe a lot of people are here to discuss this evidence and this case rather than dollibug's personal experience.-irishgirl

    Everyone has the option to use the ignore button! Everyone has the option to not read comments from those they don't want to read. Dollibug and anyone else who wants to post can do so without approval from other posters on this site. Differences of opinion are what make this interesting, but I don't believe it is a forum for slamming folks that don't agree with your thinking or logic. Open your mind a bit! - chattycat

    I haven't slammed anyone. I've simply commented that I'm not interested in repetitive posts about someone's personal experiences.

  • troneal Jun 27, 2011

    gas station at 5am. It is almost exactly a 2hour drive from his home to gas station in King) 5am ~ Gas station in King (we know time bc of purchase receipt) King is about 50 min from the hotel so this would have put him back at the hotel right around 6am-6:15am ~ arrive back at hotel before camera was fixed. for the second time and get in that side door even though the rock had been removed a couple of hours before by the hotel worker.

    But lets keep in mind that the camera had originally been found to be tampered with earlier in the morning at around 4am and had been fixed by the maintenance guy at around 5am. The rock that had propped the door open had also been removed so he would not have had access to that door. The camera was tampered with a second time about 15 min after it had been fixed by maintenance. This would have been around 5:15am-5:30am (before Jason could have been back since he was at gas station in King at 5am and King is 50 miles away) and again the door was no long

  • dukefan245 Jun 27, 2011

    Not Guilty!!! Wake County needs to redeem themselves after the Brad Cooper Trail!

  • buford Jun 27, 2011

    Yo...hung jury people...check out the new article..


  • zeppy2827 Jun 27, 2011

    you go jeff

  • zeppy2827 Jun 27, 2011

    The court will be in recess for lunch until 1:45 p.m.

  • zeppy2827 Jun 27, 2011

    Jury 'immovably hung' in Jason Young murder trial

  • troneal Jun 27, 2011

    If the camera was fixed at 6:30am then he had approx 30 minutes to commit the crime, clean up himself, clean up cassidy and put her back to bed, plant cigs, grab drawers from jewelry box, and the little bit of extra time it took to stop for gas in King.

    That's if he got back to the hotel just before the camera was found to be tampered with. That's also assuming it took NO MORE than 2.5 hours to drive there and back. 15 min more each way and now he has NO TIME to commit the crime and clean up, plant cigs, two footprints, grab jewelry box drawers and her rings etc. that includes the time spent dealing with the gas station attendant and getting rid of the bloody clothes. Im sorry but there is almost no chance that could have happened without mistakes.

    12:00am ~ leave hotel 2:30am ~ arrive home (if it only took 2.5 hrs exactly) 2:30am-3:00am ~ commit the crime and clean up. 3:00am ~ leave house to dump bloody clothes and head back to the hotel (he had to leave by 3am to arrive at King g

  • zeppy2827 Jun 27, 2011

    "unmovably hung."