Local News

Space heater sparks fire at Durham home; 2 dogs rescued

Posted January 8, 2015

Emergency responders in Durham rescued two dogs from a home Wednesday evening after a space heater sparked a fire.
Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— Emergency responders in Durham rescued two dogs from a home Wednesday evening after a space heater sparked a fire.

Fire crews responded to the home, at 503 Reynolds Avenue, at about 8:45 p.m. The fire was brought under control in about 15 minutes, but there was severe damage to about half of the single-family home.

A mastiff was OK when crews brought it outside, and a smaller dog was revived by paramedics from Durham County EMS, officials said. No people were injured in the incident.

Red Cross was assisting two adults, one child and the animals early Thursday.

"We want to remind residents that portable space heaters should be kept at least 3 feet from any combustible materials, and they should be plugged directly into an outlet," Durham Fire Department spokesman Chris Ianuzzi said. "If an extension cord or surge protector is used with an electric portable heater, the manufacturer's guidelines should always be followed."

11 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • AnonyMouseLOL Jan 16, 2015

    So glad to hear all are safe.
    Due to the recent failure of our heat pump, we have space heaters right now too, and they scare me to death, but with temps the way it's been, what choice is there?

  • Janet Scott Jan 8, 2015
    user avatar

    Great job, medics!!

  • johnnymanziel Jan 8, 2015

    View quoted thread


    Smaller dog, which could still be a large dog relative to the size of the mastiff.

  • lmurphy45 Jan 8, 2015

    "small dog was revived by paramedics"
    so cute!

  • Alexia Proper Jan 8, 2015
    user avatar

    Most people's entire houses are combustible. We build houses out of match sticks around here.

  • seumfithy Jan 8, 2015

    View quoted thread


    Pretty much everything is every house is combustible. Clothes, furniture, carpet, paint, pictures, appliances, cabinets, etc.

  • iopsyc Jan 8, 2015

    View quoted thread



    Curtains, beds, clothing, paper, etc.

    "Combustible" is a broader category than you may think. Most houses have plenty of materials in them to fuel a fire.

  • Liz Hair Jan 8, 2015
    user avatar

    View quoted thread


    Paint, I believe even certain household cleaners, oil lamps

  • Jack Miller Jan 8, 2015
    user avatar

    That's so cool that medics will save a dog. Much appreciated. Good luck to the family.

  • eyeoneastsky Jan 8, 2015

    What sort of combustible material would people have in their home?

More...