Local News

Space heater causes fire at Durham apartment; man, dog unhurt

Posted November 29, 2014

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A fire caused by a space heater heavily damaged a portion of an apartment on Carroll Street early Saturday, Durham Fire Department officials said.

Firefighters were called to 605 Carroll St. at about 3:30 a.m. When they arrived, smoke and fire were visible from the front of a one-story duplex. The fire was contained to one of the duplex units and extinguished in about 30 minutes, officials said.

A man and his dog were in the duplex when the fire started, but they were not hurt. The man told authorities that the electrical cord of a space heater had caught fire earlier that night and that he had put out the fire before going to bed.

"It is important to call the fire department any time you extinguish an accidental fire," Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi said in a statement. "Many times the fire appears to be out but is still smoldering. Firefighters are trained to find fire hiding in carpets, walls, cabinets, furniture and machinery. We would rather take the time to make sure your fire is completely extinguished than to come back after it has destroyed your home."

Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all