Local News

Space heater caused fire that killed two Henderson children

Posted November 11, 2009
Updated November 12, 2009

— Fire investigators said Wednesday that plastic bags of clothes near a space heater started a fire that killed a 12-year-old girl and her 1-year-old brother in Henderson.

The blaze began around 9:40 p.m. Monday in a back bedroom at 132 S. Elizabeth St. The two children were trapped in the room, and firefighters were unable to reach them, authorities said. The space heater was at the foot of their bed, investigators said.

Their grandmother, Fannie Lewis, identified the girl as Abria Lewis and the boy as Joshua Chase Lewis.

Their 16-year-old brother escaped the fire, and Bernice Davis, who lives next door, said her son rescued a fourth sibling, a 9-year-old boy.

The parents, identified as Ayana and June Lewis III, had left the home briefly to go to the store, family members said. Investigators said it is unlikely any charges will be filed.

Investigators said items should be kept at least 36 inches away from portable heaters.

A memorial service for Abria and Joshua is planned Sunday at Vance Granville Community College beginning at 2 p.m.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • smstrb Nov 13, 2009

    These space heater fires are almost always totally avoidable. The number one cause is placing flammables too close to the space heater.

    Here's a good space heater safety guide I found that covers other space heater do's dont's that everyone with a space heater should read and memorize - takes about 2 minutes.

  • pebbles262004 Nov 12, 2009

    This is so sad, Prayers are for the family and friends...

  • gov watchdog Nov 12, 2009

    I am so sorry for these kids and their family.

    On a side note, I am glad the news is reporting the CAUSE of the fire so hopefully others will become more aware of the risk - it seems like things like this happen every year. Maybe some PSA's BEFORE it gets cold (and throughout the winter) would be helpful.

  • sssh.. whisper Nov 12, 2009

    Prayers to the family as they lay 2 of their children to rest