SoCon could decide next week about keeping games in NC
Posted September 16
SPARTANBURG, S.C. — The Southern Conference will make a faster decision on whether to pull championships out of North Carolina.
The NCAA announced earlier this week it will move championships out of North Carolina because of a state law that requires transgender people to use the bathroom that matches their birth certificate.
The Atlantic Coast Conference decided Wednesday to pull the football championship out of Charlotte this year for the same reason.
Southern Conference Commissioner John Iamarino told local media earlier the issue would be discussed in October.
But now he now says he's arranging a conference call with school athletic directors, presidents and chancellors for next week where he expects a decision to be made.
Basketball tournaments in Asheville, soccer semifinals in Greensboro and the golf championship in Pinehurst would be affected.