Local News

Smithfield investigator says he got confession from Bordeaux suspect

Posted May 17, 2014

— A Smithfield man who runs a private investigative business says he got Nicholas Holbert, the 23-year-old man charged in the death of Pfc. Kelli Bordeaux, to confess to him earlier this week before Holbert led him and Fayetteville police to her remains.

David Marshburn, who owns Marshburn Investigation Agency, told WRAL News that he became interested in Bordeaux’s disappearance nearly two years ago.

Bordeaux, a combat medic assigned to the 601st Area Support Medical Company, 44th Medical Brigade at Fort Bragg, was last seen alive on the early morning of April 14, 2012, at Froggy Bottoms, where she had gone to sing karaoke. According to police, Holbert was the last person seen with Bordeaux. 

Marshburn says his relationship with Holbert grew over an eight month period. 

"You get to know someone so well that you can read...he wants to say something, he wants to talk," he said. 

In effort to build his relationship with Holbert, Marshburn said he brought him to his agency earlier this week to work on an office improvement project. One day later, Marshburn said, Holbert confessed. 

"I just asked are you ready to tell me. Did you do something to Kelli and he said yes," Marshburn said. 

According to Marshburn, Holbert brought him to the wooded area in Fayetteville where police later recovered Bordeaux's remains. 

"He started shaking. He started to bite his nails," Marshburn explained. "He just said that he is glad he told me."

According to police, Bordeaux's remains were found Wednesday morning in a deeply wooded area off River Road near the Interstate 295 corridor.

Arrest warrants issued Wednesday and obtained by The Fayetteville Observer, say that Holbert and Bordeaux arrived together at the now-closed Froggy Bottoms and were there for several hours before getting into a fight in the parking lot. Holbert hit Bordeaux and knocked her unconscious, the warrant says.

He then put Bordeaux in his car and drove her to his camp site behind the bar, where he hit her several more times in the head, the warrant continues.

Fayetteville police did not comment on Marshburn's involvement in the case. 

Holbert was being held under a $250,000 bond on the kidnapping charge and without bond on the murder charge.




This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all