Authorities: Cary home invasion may be linked to robbery spree
Posted February 22, 2016
Cary, N.C. — Six people have been charged in a recent home invasion in Cary that authorities say might be linked to a series of robberies targeting Asian-American business owners.
Andre Lamar Dixon, Howard Earl Jr., Devon Harris, Kevin Malone, Terrell Lee McLamb and a 15-year-old juvenile are charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, first-degree burglary and second-degree kidnapping.
According to a search warrant released Friday, a group of masked men forced their way into home on Spencer Crest Court in Cary on Feb. 1 and held a woman and her two daughters at gunpoint, demanding money. The woman's husband ran to a neighbor's house to call 911 as the intruders entered.
The woman turned over a bank deposit bag with $4,000 to the robbers, who then fled, according to the search warrant.
It's unclear if anyone was harmed during the incident.
Police were able to trace a cellphone that was taken during the robbery to a Durham motel, where the five men and the juvenile were arrested. A handgun that was reported stolen in Chatham County on Dec. 24 was found in a vehicle next to where the men were standing, the search warrant states.
Earl was wearing an electronic monitoring bracelet when he was arrested, and a search of its location history showed he had been on Spencer Crest Court in the early hours of Feb. 1, the warrant states. Also, Dixon's fingerprint was found on a bedroom door inside the house, according to the warrant.
Cary police said the family that was robbed owns an Asian restaurant in Durham.
A band of armed, masked men has been targeting Asian-American business owners in Durham since last fall. Police have responded to at least 14 such robberies since October, including home invasions similar to the one in Cary.
Durham police said they are looking at the Cary suspects to see if they could be tied to any of the other robberies.