Shop local on Small Business Saturday
Posted November 20, 2012
Updated November 24, 2012
We've all heard of Black Friday, and now there's even Cyber Monday. But what about Small Business Saturday?
This Saturday shoppers are encouraged to hit the streets in search of great deals – only at locally owned businesses. Small Business Saturday was started just three years ago, but has been gaining speed ever since.
The folks at Shop Local Raleigh are naturally big supporters of Small Business Saturday. They performed a recent study which showed that only 13.6 percent of national chains' revenues are recirculated locally, while 51.1 percent of local businesses' revenues return to the community.
"Small businesses keep communities unique. It's a partnership," Jennifer Martin, executive director of Shop Local Raleigh, said. "Independent businesses can provide better service, both for customers and employees, and they distribute more money back to the local community."
Shop Local Raleigh is distributing special doormats to local businesses for Small Business Saturday. Keep an eye out for the blue "Shop Small" doormats!
Just for fun, we asked Jennifer for an impromptu Five Faves: Holiday Gifts from Local Businesses. Here are some of her picks:
- Best Local Manicure/Pedicure: Simple Bliss Spa & Salon (treat your mom, your sister, your best friend...or yourself!)
- Best Local Shoe Store: Mobley's (quality shoes for women and children)
- Best Local Craft Beer: Bottle Revolution (get the beer-lover in your life a membership to their Beer Club)
- Best Local Pet Toys: Unleashed (don't forget about Fido!)
- Best Local Sandwich: Turkey & Avocado at Sunflowers Cafe (because after all that shopping, you'll need a lunch break)
Jennifer said that many local businesses offer loyalty programs and ordering can be done on the phone or online. There's really no excuse: during this weekend's shopping extravaganza, be sure to stop by some of the Triangle's local businesses and give back to the community.