Shooting death of Special Forces soldier still unsolved
Posted October 15, 2013
Fayetteville, N.C. — Fayetteville police say they have yet to make any arrests in the shooting of a Fort Bragg Special Forces soldier killed in his home last week.
At least two men forced their way into the home of 35-year-old Sean Wayne Wells shortly before 9 p.m. on Oct. 7, got into an argument with him and then shot him, according to investigators.
Police found Wells' wife's car the next day about 2 miles away.
Despite no arrests, police spokesman Lt. Todd Joyce said Tuesday that investigators still believe Wells had some kind of relationship with his killers.
"The status of the case still stays the same," Joyce said. "According to evidence gained during this portion of the investigation, this was not a random act."
Police haven't offered a description of any possible suspects nor have they offered a motive.
The seeming lack of movement in the case have some in the neighborhood on edge, despite police reassurance.
"When those guys are still on the loose, you never know," said Thomas White, a retired soldier who lives a few houses down from where Wells lived.
White was home last Monday when police were called to the home after Wells' wife escaped and went to a neighbor's to call 911.
"It was pretty bad, and everybody in the neighborhood was talking about it and trying to figure out what was going on," White said.
Anyone with information can call the Fayetteville Police Department at 910-433-1856 or Crime Stoppers at 910-483-8477. Crime Stoppers tips can also be submitted online.