This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
  • stormtrooper76 Feb 7, 8:33 p.m.

    "I just have a real concern," Sen. Fletcher Hartsell, R-Cabarrus, said. The state constitution prohibits removing judges from office other than through impeachment.

    Finally, someone is trying to follow the state's constitution.

    Sen. Tom Apodaca, R-Henderson, the bill's sponsor, said that the bill eliminates the positions rather than simply firing those who hold them. Such actions have been found to be legal in the past, he said.

    Once again, this is a case of ruling as one sees fit. He's for eliminating the judges positions but it doesnt "remove" them. It doesnt take a smart person to figure out that eliminating the postions will "remove" the judges.

    Hypocrites............ they complain about others NOT following the state or federal constitutions but do the exact same thing themselves.....

  • dontstopnow Feb 7, 3:50 p.m.

    I am just glad they are working to take full control. Although I am a registered Democrat, I am embarrassed by the last 3 or 4 governors of this state and this is a breath of fresh air. Throw all the bums out Pat. Sweep the floor and start over.

  • Pirate01 Feb 7, 10:32 a.m.

    It is perfectly reasonable and to be expected that Republicans would put their own people into any position they could. Anybody complaining is just being dishonest about the reality of the situation.

  • OleNCNative Feb 7, 10:32 a.m.

    liberals just do not understand how democracy works.Repubs won and occupy the guvoners mansion and the legislative building so to the victor goes the spoils. do they think the Vikings cared what kind of educational system defeated people wanted after conquest? did Hitlerr lose sleep because the French and the Dutch and the Danes didn't approve of his chief of staff? McCrory was elected by 52% and doesn't owe any allegiance to or care what the other 48% want or think. Pillage on!
    Whatthehey

    Lemme show you how you don't know how democracy works: 1) You cannot spell governor. First hint. 2) You think that a winning party is at liberty to take the same actions as Vikings and Nazis. (Side note: Don't compare the side you favor to Vikings and Nazis. Unless you like Vikings and Nazis. It works against you.)

  • wral mods blow close my account Feb 7, 10:29 a.m.

    Psst - GOP you may want to make a law to prevent the next Administration from doing the same thing because your reign will be short.

  • superman Feb 7, 10:29 a.m.

    Find a way to rescind the Dix agreement.

  • Bendal1 Feb 7, 10:28 a.m.

    whatthehey,

    In a true democracy and not this disaster the Republicans are calling one, there's this thing called "compromise" and "rational debate", too. There's absolutely nothing wrong with commissions and regulatory boards having different viewpoints among the members. That was why until now board members weren't replaced until they retired. If the Republicans get their wish, we'll see the boards filled with members holding views contrary to what the boards were set up to do in the first place, with no dissent or opposing viewpoints allowed.

    That's not a democracy, that's a fascist state.

  • FairPlay Feb 7, 10:18 a.m.

    Both sides do the same thing. What they want. Stop crying libs...... your past Gov and the Pres are doing the same thing.

  • Raleigh Rocks 1 Feb 7, 10:13 a.m.

    PlentyStoup, he corrected this and said it was Jim Hunt not martin....now respond..was it different?

  • Plenty Coups Feb 7, 9:49 a.m.

    "Done twice by Progressive Governor Jim Martin, was that different? The Yoda"

    Martin was a conservative republican.

  • cushioncritter Feb 7, 9:44 a.m.

    As one of his first acts after election in 1993, Gov. Jim Hunt slashed the NC "DMV Enforcement" unit and transferred most of its function to the SHP. A N&O headline at the time was "grandmother dies of heart attack after her career position with DOT Enforcement was eliminated".

    Many speculated at the time that Hunt was able to appoint newly created admin. positions in the SHP (patronage), while eliminating GOP appointees in DMV Enforcement that could not otherwise have been fired, however, their jobs "no longer existed". Sound familiar?

    As the DMV Enforcement salaries were generally lower than the equivalents at the SHP, "cost savings" were not a legitimate excuse.

  • SMAPAEA Feb 7, 9:41 a.m.

    "I just have a real concern," Sen. Fletcher Hartsell, R-Cabarrus, said. The state constitution prohibits removing judges from office other than through impeachment."

    Great. Then I guess the GOP can't do it. That would be a serious breach of division of power. We should all be watching the steps by the new ruling party carefully.

    Thanks OleNCNative...hopefully they will realize that...otherwise, I smell lawsuits...don't make judges mad...they are lawyers.

  • Whatthehey Feb 7, 9:38 a.m.

    liberals just do not understand how democracy works.Repubs won and occupy the guvoners mansion and the legislative building so to the victor goes the spoils. do they think the Vikings cared what kind of educational system defeated people wanted after conquest? did Hitlerr lose sleep because the French and the Dutch and the Danes didn't approve of his chief of staff? McCrory was elected by 52% and doesn't owe any allegiance to or care what the other 48% want or think. Pillage on!

  • pelosi-rulz Feb 7, 9:30 a.m.

    Drain that swamp.... it is way over due

  • Rebelyell55 Feb 7, 9:21 a.m.

    Gee, this only Feb. wondering what the rest of the year will be like?

  • Rebelyell55 Feb 7, 9:20 a.m.

    That individual has no business judging a chicken wing contest let alone real court cases.

    babedan
    February 7, 2013 8:55 a.m.
    ............................Sorry to say, but that's not same type of judges they're talking about. Also, this judge is elected.

  • OleNCNative Feb 7, 9:14 a.m.

    Done twice by Progressive Governor Jim Martin, was that different?

    OOPS, meant Jim Hunt not Martin
    The Yoda

    What exactly did he do? Please don't make assertions unless you're able to back them up.

  • OleNCNative Feb 7, 9:12 a.m.

    "I just have a real concern," Sen. Fletcher Hartsell, R-Cabarrus, said. The state constitution prohibits removing judges from office other than through impeachment."

    Great. Then I guess the GOP can't do it. That would be a serious breach of division of power. We should all be watching the steps by the new ruling party carefully.

  • lec02572 Feb 7, 9:07 a.m.

    If you look back Jim Hunt fired republicans appointed by Jim Martin on two separate occasions, so it is not new. Also, the judges are not being fired, their positions are being eliminated. That is typical of state government. The easy way to rid yourself of people you don't want is to eliminate the position. If you want someone in the position either reclassify the position later or determine that too many positions were eliminated and bring back some of the positions and fill them with whoever.

  • SouthernPackerFan Feb 7, 9:03 a.m.

    ah GOP House of NC, thowing 600 Million away here, firing Dem Commissioners there, all in the name of Progress!
    Cutting the Unemployment means the Fed's will not cover roughly 600 million "Given" the the State for Benefits.....Good Job GOP
    now, what to do with all these Po' Folk lying around???HHHHMMMMMM

  • SouthernPackerFan Feb 7, 8:56 a.m.

    Done twice by Progressive Governor Jim Martin, was that different?

    The Yoda
    ahhhhhh, Jim Martin was a Conservative GOP Govener

  • babedan Feb 7, 8:55 a.m.

    Hopefully, the judge in Lillington is on the chopping block. You know the one that handed out the 6 month sentence to the man who killed a 12 year old when the bus was stopped and red lights flashing, and he didn't have a license. That individual has no business judging a chicken wing contest let alone real court cases.

  • Crumps Br0ther Feb 7, 8:54 a.m.

    Done twice by Progressive Governor Jim Martin, was that different?
    The Yoda

    It's always different when liberals do it. The lack of integrity keeps them from feeling like hypocrites

  • Crumps Br0ther Feb 7, 8:53 a.m.

    teleman60 - Obama has skirted around some constitutional rules. Is that OK or does that bother you too?
    no contest

    The double standard allows liberals to get mad at conservatives for the same things they are doing themselves.

  • The Yoda Feb 7, 8:52 a.m.

    Done twice by Progressive Governor Jim Martin, was that different?

    OOPS, meant Jim Hunt not Martin

  • no contest Feb 7, 8:43 a.m.

    teleman60 - Obama has skirted around some constitutional rules. Is that OK or does that bother you too?

  • BigSteamnTurd Feb 7, 8:43 a.m.

    Excellent. We need a lot less Judges. Bye bye you legal know-it-alls.

  • The Yoda Feb 7, 8:27 a.m.

    All done by skirting constitutional rules!! says teleman60

    Done twice by Progressive Governor Jim Martin, was that different?

  • soyousay Feb 7, 8:18 a.m.

    Hudges, we don't need no judges, we got the militia (do try to see the humor the hijacking of the judicial system by these people- if you can)

  • teleman60 Feb 7, 8:11 a.m.

    "Utilities Commission, Environmental Management Commission, Coastal Resources Commission, Lottery Commission and Wildlife Resources Commission."

    What's obsolete about these commissions? Maybe Ms Leslie could tell us if ever in US history an election was followed by FIRING 12 JUDGES? FIRING REGULATORS?

    All done by skirting constitutional rules!!

  • The Yoda Feb 7, 8:06 a.m.

    "TOPPLES BARRED" I can't find that in Funk & Wagnalls? Is that a new word?

Oldest First