This story is closed for comments.
bluebird1075 Nov 15, 2012
So proud of this young lady!! In a scary situation, she took control and did exactly what she needed to do. Very brave of her and thankfully she got her nephew out too!! Way to go, Darlette!! You are a great example for other teens to follow!!
Phillip PJM Nov 14, 2012
What Darlene did was truely a life saving act. Someone needs to point out, however, that, in a fire, opening a hot door, even a crack, as she did, could be a fatal mistake.
jenjengirl89 Nov 14, 2012
"Quick-thinking teen saves self, nephew from Rocky Mount fire"
"she knocked out an air conditioning unit and climbed onto the ledge with her cousin"
Nephew, cousin, they're all the same in today's facts-or-accuracy-not-important style of "journalism".
anneonymousone Nov 14, 2012
Well done, Darlette Spencer (and those who taught her fire safety)!
In the Talmud, it says that when a person saves the life of an individual, it is as if that person has saved the entire world. Ms. Spencer has saved two worlds.
ladyblue Nov 13, 2012
What a smart thinking young lady to hold her wits and remember what she was taught on fire alarm safety..Kudos to her. She indeed saved 2 lives that morning...
ICTrue Nov 13, 2012
She will be rewarded in more ways than one. Most towns and fire departments have heroism awards for people like this. An uncle of mine received recognition from the town for saving two family members from a house after a propane explosion before the fire department arrived (which would have been too late). It was great but doesn't compare to the feeling of knowing that he did the right thing.
esteryates69 Nov 13, 2012
This teenage is a hero for sure.
ncsualum09 Nov 13, 2012
holmesap Nov 13, 2012
This young girl should be rewarded for her heroism. She kept her composure and in doing so not only did she save her life but her nephews too. Very proud of you !
Published: 2007-10-05 09:38:00
Updated: 2015-01-14 14:37:58