Second man charged in death of Fayetteville veteran
Posted December 4, 2012
Fayetteville, N.C. — Police on Tuesday charged a second man in the shooting death last month of a Vietnam War veteran in Fayetteville.
Charles Lamont Hope, 39, of Pedro Drive, was charged with first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy in the death of 67-year-old Wolfgang Joppich.
Joppich was shot in the chest behind a Krispy Kreme on Tally Ho Drive on Nov. 25. He died at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center.
Police last week charged Terrane Kulaia Dukes, 18, of Weiss Avenue, with first-degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon in the case.
Dukes maintained an older man killed Joppich, Dukes' mother, Daisy Davis, said after his arrest.
Joppich, who was known to frequent the area of Bragg Boulevard to feed feral cats, lived out of a van for years after growing up in Germany and serving in the Army for 16 years.
Police said robbery was the primary motive for the shooting, saying people in the community might have thought Joppich had money.