Sanford girl on a mission to help local veterans
Posted November 11, 2015
Sanford, N.C. — An 11-year-old Sanford girl is on a mission to help veterans by collecting shoes and raising money.
"We take old shoes. They just can't have a hole bigger than a quarter," said Claire Ledford.
This is the second year Ledford is raising money for the Veterans Leadership Council. She works with an organization that will buy the donated shoes and fix them to sell in developing countries. The money raised will stay in North Carolina to help local veterans.
"They are risking their lives every single day they are out there, and we are at home in our comfy chairs and big, nice houses with air conditioning. They are out there in the weather, and we should really give back to them when they get home," Ledford said.
The Flip Flops to Combat Boots project will run through November. Donations can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Alamance Sheriff’s Office, 109 S. Maple St., Graham
- Jordan and Jordan Law Offices, 409-D S. Main St., Jefferson
- Shallotte Rent-all, 121 Village Road Southwest, Shallotte
- Allstate Office, Siler Crossing, 102 Siler Crossing, Suite 2, Siler City
- Dance Explosion School of Performing Arts, 3818 Clemmons Road, Clemmons
- SoFo Vapes, 5088 Peters Creek Parkway, Winston-Salem
- Elmore Furniture Company, 126 N. Clinton Ave., Dunn
- Adcock Rental and Associates, 1111 S. Horner Blvd., Sanford
- Chatlee Boat & Marine, 2615 Old Jefferson Davis Highway, Sanford
- Hair Design Team, 123 Horner Blvd., Sanford
- K & L Gun Sales, 1606 Westover Drive, Sanford
- Knecht Chiropractic Center, 2631 S. Horner Blvd., Sanford
- Lee County Sheriff’s Office, 1401 Elm St., Sanford
- Tina’s Nails, 129B, N. Horner Blvd., Sanford
- Old Store Produce, 14720 Brown Mill Road, Huntersville
- Elmore Furniture Company, 15 Dawn Road, Pinehurst
- Veterans Leadership Council, 807 Spring Forest Road, Suite 2000, Raleigh
- Briggs Hardware 111 E. Hargett St., Raleigh
- Waste Industries, 3301 Benson Drive, Raleigh
- Shear Elegance Salon, 2855 Jones Franklin Road, Raleigh
- Sub Zero Ice Cream and Yogurt, 652 Holly Springs Road, Holly Springs