Ruling Allowing Knightdale Wal-Mart Appealed
Posted May 30, 2007
Knightdale, N.C. — Knightdale residents opposing the construction of a Wal-Mart Supercenter have appealed a court order allowing construction of the discount store.
Superior Court Judge Henry Barnette ruled last month that Knightdale hadn't violated any state statutes in rezoning land for the project.
In their suit brought against the Town of Knightdale, members of Citizens Against Residential Encroachment, or CARE, said Councilman Mike Chalk had bid on and obtained a contract to do work on a property owned by one of the companies involved in the Wal-Mart project. But Chalk told the court he had no interest in contracting to do work on the project, and the court ruled he had no substantial financial interest involved.
The case is currently in the state Court of Appeals. The attorney for CARE has 30 days to prepare the basis for the appeal after which the town has 30 days to respond.