We also may ask you to provide, at your option, your address and certain demographic information. This information will help us to better understand our audience, but is not required as a condition of registering; you may decline to provide any or all such optional information. Once you register with www.wral.com you are not anonymous to us. However, you may use an assumed member name when posting to the Site if you'd prefer to remain anonymous to other members of the WRAL.com community and other visitors.
- Alerts — Breaking News, Traffic News, Business, Weather, Hurricane, Today’s Most Popular News, Videos, Headlines, and Mike Easley Investigations
- "Ask Greg" Weather Question
- Mike’s A Maze-ing Weather Photos — We also collect and use your name and hometown with the submission of your image
- WRAL Closings — Schools, day care establishments, churches, and large businesses can request a closure ID weather code to submit weather-related closing information. We collect and use the following information:
- Business/Organization’s Name (up to 27 characters)
- Business/Organization Type
- Number of Paid Employees
- Number of Children/Students
- Full Address
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Fax Number
- Authorized Contact Person
- Contact Person’s Home/Cell Number and Email Address
- Correspondence must contain the name, official title and signature of the requester.
- Additional Subscription Features – 5 On Your Side, Business, Health, Sports, Entertainment, and Closings
Users have an opportunity to vote on local, state and national issues of concern, or to complete surveys about products or services offered by CBC or other companies. We may request your name, gender, age or birth date, zip code, e-mail address, and/or income level. This information helps us to ensure the accuracy of our voting, polling or survey data and helps us to understand our results.
For our chat rooms, blogs, message boards, and other public forums, we may request your name, Facebook or other social networking platform user ID and password information, email or postal address. This information may be required to sign-in and helps us respond to questions or concerns about use of these public areas. We reserve the right to edit or delete any Personal Information you disclose to the public.
You must provide your name and email address to submit a comment or question online; in some instances a user ID and/or password may be required. We will also accept your comments or questions offline via traditional mail and telephone. If you choose to provide other Personal Information with, or in your comment, question or complaint, we may retain such information unedited in our Station’s FCC Public Inspection File, even if you are identified as a person younger than 13 years of age. Please see the Section “Safeguarding Children’s Privacy” for details.
We collect your street address, city/county, state/province and disclose this information to the City of Raleigh as part of your repair request. You may also submit your email address if you wish to receive an update when an issue is opened or closed.
From time to time, WRAL.com, other Services, and/or our Advertisers, may sponsor a promotion, sweepstakes or contest. Each event may have different entry requirements. Users may be asked to provide name, email address or home address, telephone number, month, date and/or year of birth, Facebook or other social network platform user ID, or be required to answer questions or submit user generated content. We will also collect what you, Facebook or other social networking platforms authorize us to collect. We will share your Personal Information with certain Advertisers that you have requested to receive information from or consented to the disclosure of your Personal Information. It will be clear at the point of collection who is collecting the Personal Information and whose privacy statement will apply.
Winners of contests and sweepstakes may also need to show a government-issued photo ID to verify identity and eligibility prior to receiving the prize. If you win a prize valued at $600 or more, or have won prizes that are valued at $600 or more in the aggregate in a calendar year, you must also provide your Social Security Number and complete the required IRS Form W-9 for federal tax reporting.
For example, the web servers for WRAL.com automatically collects limited information about your computer configuration, such as the type of browser software and operating system used, and your IP Address, which has been traditionally classified as non-Personal Information but may be considered Personal Information under certain circumstances or laws. We also log profile information, aggregate user data, browser type, browser language, referring / exit pages and URLs, platform type, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, from users and visitors to the Site.
A "cookie" is a small text file that recognizes repeat visitors, enables ongoing access and personalization to some of our features and activities and other websites, and will allow us to understand how and when pages are visited and by how many people. Cookies can do a variety of helpful things:
- Store a variety of information, including IP Addresses, navigational data, server information, data transfer times, user preferences, shopping cart information, product codes and prices for merchandise that visitors purchase, user IDs and passwords needed to access our Services so that you do not have to re-enter your log-in information each time you visit the Site.
- Help us make improvements and updates based on which content, features or activities are popular and which are not.
- Serve customized advertising or content to you based on your geographic location, age, gender, or other demographics that you have provided to us, or have been estimated based on your Internet usage and purchase history.
- Ensure the accuracy of our voting, polling and survey data.
You may configure your browser to warn you each time a cookie is being sent. If you do not want to allow our cookies on your computer, you must configure your browser to turn off all cookies used by CBC because our system does not allow you to opt-out to them individually. Your browser may also have a tool that will identify and disable certain types of cookies, such as those used for Network Advertising. Click here for more information about Network Advertising
A "web beacon" (also called a web bug, pixel tag or a clear GIF) is a small transparent graphic image that is placed on a webpage or in an HTML email and is used to monitor the activity of the user visiting the webpage or email. Web beacons are used for website traffic reporting, auditing and reporting user clicks on an ad, and tracking the number of unique visitors to a webpage or ad. Web beacons and cookies may also be used in combination to customize your experience on our Site and Services by monitoring your activity and interests.
An "Internet Protocol ("IP")" Address is a number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet. This number by itself does not identify your name, e-mail address or other Personal Information. If you request pages from any CBC website, that website’s server will enter your IP address into a log. To maintain user anonymity, CBC does not associate or link IP Addresses with records containing Personal Information unless it is necessary to enforce the law or our TOU, protect CBC or our Stations, Operational Service Providers and Advertisers, or to defend against or investigate any charges or claims against CBC. We store IP Addresses for a period of time to help us to identify anyone who refuses to comply with our TOU or applicable law. We also will use this information to measure website traffic, for system administration, and to measure the success of our Advertiser’s ads. This information also helps us to understand how you use our Site and other Services and will help us improve and customize your online experience.
- Contextual Advertising: For example, we may serve you an advertisement for brakes and shocks based on a used car dealer ad you just viewed or a search you've made about used cars on one of our Services. This is called “Contextual Advertising” because it is based on the context of how you used a specific Service. We do not collect any Personal Information about you for Contextual Advertising.
- First Party Advertising: Advertising that is tailored or personalized based on a history of your use of content and participation in features and activities on our Services (possibly combined with information from our Facebook Fan page or our other social network platforms) over time is based solely on a combination of information that we collect from you - not from your use of other websites or third party services. We may share such information anonymously with our Advertisers in order to measure the effectiveness of ads on our Services, such as how many users opened or acted on a particular ad.
- Network Advertising: Information about your use of our Services combined with similar information about your overall Internet usage across different third party websites and online services used to serve tailored and personalized advertising is generally called "Network Advertising." Multiple third party websites and online services are involved in this personalized advertising process, in essence a "network" of advertising providers. You are served ads based on your demographics (whether you have provided such information voluntarily or such information is estimated based on your Internet usage and search history, transactions, and interests, such as your gender, age, lifestyle, education, home ownership, geographic location, etc.
For advertising that is part of a Network Advertising service, you may see a small symbol attached to a banner ad or other targeted advertising that can be clicked open for information about why and how you are receiving a particular ad. For more information see http://www.aboutads.info.
We reserve the right to deny access to any user if we believe there is a question about his/her identity, if the burden or expense of providing access to a user’s Personal Information is disproportionate to the potential privacy risks to that user, or if the legitimate rights of others would be violated. In such cases, we will provide you with an explanation and a contact person for further inquiries.
Last Updated and Effective Date: April 23, 2013
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Types of information we collect and use
- Monitoring Technologies
- Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
- How we protect your Personal Information
- Customized Content & Advertising
- Safeguarding Children’s Privacy
- Your choices for the collection, use and sharing of your Personal Information
- How to access, update, correct, or delete your Personal Information
- Hyperlinks to third party websites
- Contact Us/Report Misconduct
Our Services are designed and targeted to audiences in the U.S. and are governed by and operated in accordance with the laws of the U.S. If you are not a U.S. citizen or do not reside in the U.S., by using these Services and/or providing us with your Personal Information, you voluntarily consent to our collection, transfer, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information to the U.S. You also agree to waive any claims that may arise under your own national laws.
Our Services are generally targeted to adults. Unless we indicate otherwise, you must be at least 18 years old to register and to use the Services.
1. Your California Privacy Rights
Under the California "Shine the Light Act," if you reside in California and have an established business relationship with us, you have the right to receive information about our online and offline opt-out/opt-in policies of sharing your Personal Information with affiliated entities or non-affiliated third parties, such as our advertisers, sponsors and promotional partners (collectively, "Advertisers") for direct marketing purposes. If you wish to learn about our opt-out/opt-in policies, please send your written request following the instructions below. We will not accept requests via the telephone or facsimile.
- We may not be able to respond to requests that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
- For all requests, include your full name, street address, city, state and zip code, and the name of the Services to which you are requesting the information.
- In your email request, you must state "Re: Your California Privacy Rights" in the subject line and send your email to email@example.com.
- In your postal request, you must send a letter or post card to:
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc.
Attn: Privacy Administrator/Your California Privacy Rights
2619 Western Boulevard
Raleigh, NC 27606
Non-affiliated third parties are independent from CBC and if you wish to receive information about your disclosure choices or stop communications from such third parties, you will need to contact those non-affiliated third parties directly.
2. Types of information we collect and use
We collect and/or use information in three (3) categories: (1) Personal Information that you voluntarily provide when you register or participate in any features or activities on this Site or other Services online or offline, (2) information that we passively collect as you navigate or use our Services such as IP Address, unique device ID, or transaction and viewing history; and (3)Non-Personal Information that cannot be used to identify or contact a specific individual, such as anonymous and aggregated information. We may also collect and use Personal Information about other people when you participate in certain programs and features or when you submit news stories or nominations for community awards or recognition that involve other people.
Below is a description of the types of information we collect and how we use it:
Only registered users may post information or comments or use certain Site features, activities and services. We require you to provide your e-mail address, zip code, gender, month and year of birth. We use this registration information to create a unique profile for you, to communicate with you regarding your registration, and to verify your eligibility. Learn More
You can register for other features and activities on WRAL.com with the submission of your email address. You may be required to submit additional Personal Information such as your name and text message number. Click here for more information. You may opt-out of any feature or activity by accessing your account or the Site’s Email Alert Center.
Polls & Surveys.
Purchases & Shopping.
Comments / Questions / Consumer Complaints
SeeClickFix — City of Raleigh Street Repair.
Promotions, Contests & Sweepstakes
You can access WRAL.com content, features and activities via various apps designed for Apple (iPad, iPod and iPhone),Google Android, and Amazon Kindle Play devices, mobile web and in the future, other mobile app platforms. Click here for a list of our mobile sites and apps. Our app privacy statement can be reviewed at the App stores prior to your download and in the "About" section within the apps.
Based on an app’s specific functions and services, we may collect or access the following:
- Name, postal address (city, state and/or zip code), telephone or text message number, or email address
- Location-based information (precise and approximate past, current, or history)
- Financial Information (credit card and transaction information)
- IP Address or unique device IDs
- Type of phone or other mobile device used and phone features
- USB storage and SD card
- System tools
- Browser history and phone or text log
We ask for your consent prior to collecting or accessing Personal Information and location-based information. You may withdraw your consent by changing your options or disabling a service according to your device settings.
We and/or our Operational Service Providers (third party owned companies that provide or perform services and functions on our behalf that support our businesses and operations) will collect or access certain information to:
- Operate and store information necessary for the app to function as requested or to prevent shut down or sleep mode.
- Monitor to measure our effectiveness, analyze trends and improve our services, features and activities.
- Monitor and analyze your usage to serve customized advertising that supports free content and features. For more details about customized advertising, see the Personalized Content and Advertising section.
We may also share individual or aggregated Personal Information with third parties such as ad networks, data analytic providers, operating systems and platforms, and social networks.
Smart TV Widgets
We collect Personal Information via postal mail, telephone, over-the-air, and in-person for various purposes, including contests, sweepstakes, promotions, purchases and other transactions, special events, surveys, voting, public affairs, and news gathering.
We may combine your Personal Information collected online or offline with information obtained from our Facebook Fan pages or use of other Facebook features and services, other social network and mobile platforms, or our family of affiliated companies, Operational Service Providers, or other companies, such as credit bureaus, background check firms, marketing research companies, and/or Advertisers.
3. Monitoring Technologies
In order to manage and evaluate usage of our Site and other Services, improve our content and operations, provide advertising support for free content and features, measure the effectiveness of our advertising, and protect the security of our Site, we monitor your activity and usage via your IP Address and/or unique device ID. LEARN More
If you do not want to help us improve our Site, products, offers and marketing strategy, you can "opt-out" of our ability to analyze such data by clicking here.
We reserve the right to collect Personal Information using any new technology yet to be developed and to use such technology to provide new services and features to you, as well as for marketing and promotional purposes. Specific information regarding your choice to opt-out to such use will be provided when the new technology, service, or feature is introduced.
4. Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We will not rent, sell, or share your Personal Information with unaffiliated companies or people except: 1) as necessary to provide you with products or services you've requested; 2) when we have your permission; or 3) as follows:
- We will disclose your Personal Information to trusted partners and Operational Service Providers who work on our behalf under confidentiality agreements. These entities will use your Personal Information to help us serve you. However, these entities are not allowed to share your Personal Information without authorization or to use it for their own marketing or promotional purposes.
- We will disclose your Personal Information to conform to legal requirements or to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other legal process, whether or not a response is required by applicable law.
- We will disclose your Personal Information to enforce our TOU, or to protect the rights, property or safety of CBC, other users and visitors, our Advertisers and other customers, the public, or our employees.
- As our business grows, we may buy or sell various assets. In the event that all or some of our assets are acquired by another company, Personal Information may be among the transferred assets.
5. How we protect your Personal Information
We have taken reasonable steps to protect the security and confidentiality of the Personal Information we collect and use. We implement and maintain reasonable physical, technical and administrative procedures to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized collection, use, disclosure, and disposal and request our Operational Service Providers to do the same. However, no physical or electronic security system is impenetrable, and we cannot guarantee the security of our servers or databases, nor can we guarantee that the information that you supply to us won't be intercepted during transmission over the Internet.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your accounts, especially on a shared computer or device, by logging out when you are finished using our Site and other Services and by keeping any passwords confidential. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors may compromise the security of member information at any time.
Additionally, we cannot control and therefore cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party use of your Personal Information that you make publicly available.
6. Customized Content & Advertising
Advertising helps us to support the free Services, Internet and broadcast content we provide to you. We use anonymous, aggregated information to serve customized ads. (For example, we are able to provide the age range, gender, and geographic location of the audience our Advertisers will be reaching.) When we aggregate your information, no specific individual can be identified.
Click here for examples of advertising featured on our Services and how they deliver personalized and customized advertising.
To opt-out of Network Advertising, please click here.
Please be aware that opting out of a Network Advertising service doesn't mean that you will not receive online ads. It only means that the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your preferences and interests, but you will continue to receive advertising.
7. Safeguarding Children's Privacy
Protecting the privacy of children is especially important. Generally, we will not knowingly collect online Personal Information or any other identifying data from children under 13 years of age. Should we discover that a child under the age of 13 submitted Personal Information to our Site, apps, or other Internet-based Services without first obtaining verifiable parental consent, we will immediately reject any such entry and delete that information from our database (to the extent technically feasible), unless such information meets an exception under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA").
Comments that pertain to programming or operations of our Stations are subject to Federal Communications Commission ("FCC") regulations that require television licensees to post such comments in the applicable Station’s FCC Public Inspection File. Except to meet FCC, or other regulatory and legal purposes, we will not knowingly use, distribute or disclose any child's Personal Information to unaffiliated third parties without prior parental consent. We will promptly remove such information from our database (to the extent technically feasible) if a parent withdraws his or her consent to our use of the child’s Personal Information.
For more information about the safety of children on the Internet, click here.
8. Your choices for the collection, use and sharing of your Personal Information
Users who no longer wish to receive alerts, notifications, or promotional messages from us via email may choose to unsubscribe via the Mailing List Admin page on WRAL.com, WRALSportsFan.com, HighSchoolOT.com, AmericanTobaccoHistoricDistrict.com, WRALTechWire.com and WILM-TV.com. All emails and newsletters also include opt-out instructions. Alerts sent via text message also have an opt-out mechanism.
We may share your Personal Information directly with our Advertisers for their direct marketing and promotional purposes only if you have granted your permission to do so. Depending on the activity, event or feature, you will have an opportunity to either “opt-in” or “opt-out” of such sharing at the time of registration, delivery of the activity, event or feature, or by contacting the Service via this feedback form.
You must use the designated method to notify us of your opt-out request, as we cannot guarantee that other methods of notification will be effective or timely. Please be aware that we may continue to contact you for administrative, transactional or informational purposes related to your use of our Services, including follow-up messages regarding contests you have entered or other transactions you have undertaken. By law, such messages are not considered to be unsolicited commercial messages.
9. How to access, update, correct, or delete your Personal Information
You can access and edit your registration information, including your e-mail address and options for receiving news and information and advertising emails, and can delete your registration and member name at any time by going to the Registration page. If you terminate your site registration, your email address will remain in our archived records after your account has been closed given the technical limitations of our system. However it will be moved to an inactive status.
For mobile apps, you may access and update or change your Personal Information via "Settings." You may also delete an app or disable a service according to your device settings. For other Services, please access your account or send an e-mail to our Privacy Administrator.
We retain your Personal Information as long as it takes to provide the Services and as required by our corporate policies and laws. Upon your request, we also will remove your Personal Information from our active database(s). Given the limitations of our computer systems, corporate business policies, and the requirements of federal or state laws, we may not be able to delete all of your Personal Information from our internal or back-up files. You may be entitled to access such Personal Information or restrict the use of such Information under local or state laws. Please contact our Privacy Administrator. MORE.
10. Hyperlinks to Third Party Websites
12. Contacting Us / Report Misconduct
Published: 2006-09-20 22:19:00
Updated: 2013-08-23 10:47:03