Rocky Mount shopping center reopens after chemical scare
Posted September 24, 2008
Rocky Mount, N.C. — The release of a dry cleaning agent brought Rocky Mount firefighters to the Wellongate Center on Sunset Avenue on Tuesday night.
Firefighters arrived just after 7:30 p.m. to find a haze of smoke and a pungent odor inside VIP Cleaners. They evacuated nearby businesses and ventilated the building.
The air was clear by 11 p.m.
Four firefighters and 10 employees of a pizza parlor were taken to Nash General Hospital to be treated after they inhaled fumes. All had been released from the hospital by midday Wednesday.
The shops at Wellongate opened for business as usual Wednesday.