banner
House & Home

Rock Hill Fire Kills 1, Severely Burns Another

Posted January 11, 2014

Winter is unfortunately the season for terrible house fires, and the news seems full of them in the last week especially, thanks to the polar vortex, which has been pressuring people across the Midwest, East, and South with extreme cold temperatures. Harsh weather often leads people to make unsafe decisions in an attempt to keep their houses warm, including burning in open fireplaces without adequate screens, running too many heaters and overloading electrical systems, or using kerosene and other heaters without adequate ventilation and safety measures.

In Rock Hill, South Carolina, a house fire on early Thursday afternoon destroyed a home, killed one person, and severely injured another. While the cause of the fire hasn't been determined yet, it's a reminder that fire safety is critical to keep in mind during the winter months. Charlotte electricians can audit an electrical system to make sure it's working properly, and can provide advice on using electric heat safely. It's also advisable to use licensed contractors and heating and cooling specialists for any modifications to a home, to avoid code violations that could increase fire risks.

View original post.
Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all